Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WGWW Question

Options
For some reason this bag I have just has a tremendous smoke flavor.  Anybody else experience this with some of their lump before?
Large BGE

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sorry, IME, WGWW is usually the exact opposite. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    tazcrash said:
    Sorry, IME, WGWW is usually the exact opposite. 
    I've never had that issue before either.  It's usually so mild that I can make desserts with it but this bag has an unreal smoke flavor.
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I've actually not tried the WW...but are you sure the egg doesn't have any air flow issues?  Maybe remove the guts and make sure there is no ash build up.  On a couple of occasions I have found an airflow issue to cause the lump to "smolder" more than usual.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    If you use wood chunks in a prior cook and they don't fully burn off, they could smolder the next cook...
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • EddieK76
    Options
    NO this has been the entire bag of WGWW not just one issue.   My egg is pretty constantly cleaned on a regular basis with a shop vac so ash buildup is never really a problem.

Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    EddieK76 said:
    NO this has been the entire bag of WGWW not just one issue.   My egg is pretty constantly cleaned on a regular basis with a shop vac so ash buildup is never really a problem.

Sounds like maybe you just got a bum bag!  I have had that happen with other lumps- it is almost like some of the lump didn't get dried out completely so it still burns more like wood chunks than lump.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EddieK76
    Options
    EddieK76 said:

Sounds like maybe you just got a bum bag!  I have had that happen with other lumps- it is almost like some of the lump didn't get dried out completely so it still burns more like wood chunks than lump.  

Yeah that's what my thought was on it....I've never had a bad bag before from WGWW so I was highly shocked.
    Large BGE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I have used five different manufacturer's lump and they seem to be different and burn different at times.  Couple of weeks ago i lit my egg after loading it with some RO and it had a piece of "fat lighter"(or something very similar) in it.  It started on fire and burnt for about fifteen minutes.  We have to realize that the manufacturers produce dump truck loads of this at a time in giant kilns that have stone insulated walls.  So there will be a rock or two at times, or a strange piece of wood, bolts, maybe some lump that refuses to burn!!  I have come across bags of lump that was made from pieces of plywood!!  I use mainly RO because it has a close by "source" and is priced reasonably.