Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Android app for BBQ folks

moontz
moontz Posts: 15
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys & gals - we have been working on a bbq app for Android and got enough of the kinks out to release it on the market.   So a little while back we put it out there and its available for free download right now for Android users.   Name of the app is The Pit Pal and so far it has gotten great feedback and we have been adding a bunch of new stuff per requests from users.

I added some screenshots below but if you go to either of the sites below, it will give all the details.   

google market location: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdm.pitpal

Has a bunch of features for anyone who BBQs, but has a bunch of extra features for those with a BBQ Guru WIFI (and possibly Stoker soon).   But important to know you do not need a guru to get value from it.   Also, the backyard edition is free so if you dont see a use for it, just uninstall.   But wanted to let you know its out there if interested.

No iPhone avail at this time, but being worked on.   Few screenshots below.  If you give it a try, any feedback is appreciated.   Thanks!

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2013
    I downloaded it. Nice, easy to navigate interface. I love the way you can document your cooks. Especially helpful since everyone seems to get a little tipsy and sometimes "misremember" things. Being able to track when you do stuff is nice too. Will we have the ability to transfer the cook data into the forum at any point? Have a spot for recipe storage?

Great job so far.
  • Downloaded. Looking forward to liking it up with the wifi guru
  • moontz
    I downloaded it. Nice, easy to navigate interface. I love the way you can document your cooks. Especially helpful since everyone seems to get a little tipsy and sometimes "misremember" things. Being able to track when you do stuff is nice too. Will we have the ability to transfer the cook data into the forum at any point? Have a spot for recipe storage? Great job so far.
    Thanks.  Forgetting how I cooked my food was my #1 reason for making the app.   I cant remember what I ate for breakfast let alone everything I did during a 10 hour cook,  

Regarding the forum transfer, there is a way to export your cook info into a bunch of different formats (word, text, excel, etc).   You could very easily export and copy/paste the export into a post if you wanted.   But I like the idea for some of the major forums so will put on the list to look into.

Nice idea for recipe storage (ie marinades, mops, etc) but would be a pain to enter on the phone or tablet for some.   Might be a better way. I'll think about it a bit.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Downloading it now.  I'll let you know what I think.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Damn...I am in for iPhone version when it comes out!  
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba said:
    x2
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • moontz
    r270ba said:
    x2
    Workin on it :)
  • r270ba
    Any ETA?
    Anderson, SC

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Question.......how do you delete photos? I was testing the photo function and took a test photo and want to delete it
  • moontz
    MikeP624 said:
    Question.......how do you delete photos? I was testing the photo function and took a test photo and want to delete it
    We are adding it into an upcoming release to do it direct from the app.   Until then, if you want it gone, you can delete the photo from your phone (through gallery, file manager, or something similar) it will not show in pit pal anymore.
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Nice app! +1 on the recipe function.
  • AWESOME!  Yet ANOTHER reason I am glad that I have an Android.  how much does iGrill cost? lol
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Does it come with a mangrate?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • moontz
    edited January 2013
    New release available folks (http://bit.ly/SqVnLj).  And iOS is coming along :) No exact ETA yet.

New Features:
    • Updated look and feel on the Cook Details page for more usable space.
    • Updated various icons for a cleaner look.
    • Added "more info" links to the Cook Details page to drill down into cook and food attributes.
    • Added ability to delete photos from the cook.
    • Added a new action for cooks to "Fill Water Pan".
    • Various bug fixes including fix to duration and some others with charting and some other things.
  • moontz
    edited March 2013
    Just an FYI. Released v3.0 which contains Stoker WiFi support and also allows the ability to enter temps manually for those without a wifi temp controller. Right now it allows you to chart the temps after entered, but future releases will contain more functionality built on top of this temp data.

Some other bells and whistles were also added but the 2 main things we were really happy to get out the door were the Stoker integration and manual entry ability.

• r270ba
    @moontz how's the ios side coming?
    Anderson, SC

• moontz
    Slowly... Our iOS guy is spread pretty thin right now, but we will get there eventually.
  • r270ba
    @moontz will you mention me when it is ready?
    Anderson, SC

• Downloaded, will let you know, looks good.  
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I am about to check it out but could you explain why the app is allowed to take pictures without my conformation? I haven't tried it yet and maybe if I had I would already understand. 

"Hardware controls
    take pictures and videos
    Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation."

What if me and the Misses are fooling around on the patio while doing a low and slow on a butt?
    :-O
  • Eggcelsior
    Hungry Joe, you paint quite the vivid picture with words.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited March 2013

I just don't want to ruin anyone else's meal if that ever got out on the internet. :-&

All kidding aside I always check permissions before I install anything, you would be suprised what some of these apps look at.

• Eggcelsior
    I do too. Thank you open source!
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    Glad to see Stoker support, will try it soon
  • moontz
    edited March 2013

I just don't want to ruin anyone else's meal if that ever got out on the internet. :-&

All kidding aside I always check permissions before I install anything, you would be suprised what some of these apps look at.

The descriptions android gives for permissions is a little ridiculous. They always give worst case scenario because the permissions are not very granular and dont allow the devs to use only certain features of the hardware they want to use. Its all or nothing so they need to say that because there prob is some kid in china building apps to secretly watch you basting your ribs but i promise this app is not one of those. With that being said, the app uses the camera permission so users can take pictures of their food and tie it to the cook history. So I can look in my history and see pics of the ribs i cooked last year along with the process i used to cook them.
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I just downloaded the app and bought the license for the upgrade,I have one question, Can I connect to my stoker over the internet at work or do I have to be on my home network?

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• moontz
    bo_mull said:
    I just downloaded the app and bought the license for the upgrade,I have one question, Can I connect to my stoker over the internet at work or do I have to be on my home network?
    Yes, the app uses the same connection you would use if connecting to the stoker via a web browser.   So if you got that all configured, you should be ok.
  • moontz
    If anyone is using the app with the non wifi version of the stoker, could you shoot me a PM. had a quick question. thanks
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited June 2013
    moontz I have your pro version of app for android love it and use it a lot.
    But(yep that big word)
    Last weekend I was doing 2 butts of different sizes with the Cyber Q WIFI and was using 2 meat probes. Of course the smaller butt was done first. When I went to end the cook on the smaller butt I found there was no way to end just one of the meats, Had to end the whole cook. It would be nice to be able to end just one. Or am I missing something?

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    moontz ok thanks for you response via email Yep I was missing it