Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Flames?!

Options
Looking for some insight.... I've made pizza at ~600 degrees multiple times with great success (PS legs up,  grate, raised grate,  stone).  Today I fired up a new batch of Wicked Good lump,  all of which was baseball sized or larger. Almost zero smoke while heating,  hit stable 600 in about 30 min and was ready to roll.  Normally when I open the egg at this temp I have a glowing bowl of lava. Tonight that was there but I also had tons of flame billowing up around the outside of the PS and into the dome. Even after carefully burping, I was still getting flash backs,  and flames stayed up as long as the lid remained open. 

I'm still new to this so maybe it's normal,  but it's never happened before. 

Other info:
Bottom vent about 30% open, DW top on and open all the way. 
Not at all windy - I would have expected something like this on a windy day,  but not even a breeze. 
Pizza came out fine because flames stayed at the edges, but I was a little concerned about the gasket,  which was in the flames. 

Only thing I could come up with was the lump - that's the largest I've ever used and the only thing different than previous cooks. 

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That is fairly normal with a full firebox of fresh lump and cooking at high temps. Few things to help. The back of egg is hottest. Put a leg of platesetter in back center. Second, the gasket needs to be least of your worries. It will fail. Third, overshooting your temp and then choking back vents will starve fire for oxygen and you will get a flame when open the dome (increase oxygen). If you have poured the end of a bag of lump in there, the dust can cause flare ups too. Repetition and you will get it. Always burp egg at high temps
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks chubbs, appreciate the info.