Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump Reducer

YetiBobYetiBob Posts: 49
edited 8:53AM in EggHead Forum
Where does one obtain the mythical lump reducer? How have I missed this clever little gizmo :woohoo:
·

Comments

• SoonerChrisSoonerChris Posts: 302
    From Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. Awesome person to work with!

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,675
    As of now it's sized for the XL only.
    Works great.
    darian
    lumpring002.jpg
    lumpring003.jpg
    lumpring005.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    egginator made an adjustable one from brick (firebrick would be ideal). i think his idea was to do this so he could do a cold smoke. but you could adjust it to hold more or less

Xegginators_smokebox.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,302
    using fire bricks was one of the first things that came to mind: simple, inexpensive and universally available.

on paper good idea but in practice somewhat limiting. pic is xl lump grate, firebricks and 14" diameter reducing ring.

firebricksvslumpring.jpg

I have not tried firebricks with smoking cheese but first thing that comes to mind is maybe not a good idea, as they will create a heat sink right next to the lump. sounds like a new experiment for cooler weather. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • HeathBarHeathBar Posts: 21
    Did you ever experiment with using the firebricks as a lump reducer?

XL BGE 
    ·
  • This thread is almost four years old.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 536
    Ha ha they are all against you tonight @Fred19Flinstone
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,958
    HahahBahahahsjahahahah. Killing me Fred!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

Here you go. Got mine last week. Makes a huge difference in the XL and I haven't sacrificed any heat.

IMG_7576.JPG 384.2K
    IMG_7577.JPG 280.8K
    ·
  • onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 560
    edited April 2013
    Don't think I have ever needed one of these even  though I may only use a firestarter chimney full. And I do have an XL
    ·
  • I have one purchased with a bunch of stuff when I first got the egg. But I never use it and wonder about the point of it. I keep the firebox full, burn what I need, then shut down the egg. Next time, I rake up the coals, add a little extra lump, and fire it up. 

Seems like using the reducing ring would be a hassle starting on the second cook because it would be hard to keep everything inside the ring without making a mess. Not sure it really save that much lump.
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
    I can see it being really handy for using it with wok cooks. Or searing a steak  when you don't need to use much lump.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013
    I have one purchased with a bunch of stuff when I first got the egg. But I never use it and wonder about the point of it. I keep the firebox full, burn what I need, then shut down the egg. Next time, I rake up the coals, add a little extra lump, and fire it up. 

Seems like using the reducing ring would be a hassle starting on the second cook because it would be hard to keep everything inside the ring without making a mess. Not sure it really save that much lump.
    Actually, I find less of a mess. Without it, little bits of lump get smashed between iron grate and the firebox. A lot of the time it doesn't even get burned. I dont have any waste with this thing. I find clean up super easy with this setup. Main thing is I am doing the same cooks with half the lump, so far. That's a win for me.
    ·