Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Reducer

Options
YetiBob
YetiBob Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where does one obtain the mythical lump reducer? How have I missed this clever little gizmo :woohoo:
In Maryland

Comments

• SoonerChris
    SoonerChris Posts: 302
    Options
    From Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store. Awesome person to work with!

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    As of now it's sized for the XL only.
    Works great.
    darian
    lumpring002.jpg
    lumpring003.jpg
    lumpring005.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    egginator made an adjustable one from brick (firebrick would be ideal). i think his idea was to do this so he could do a cold smoke. but you could adjust it to hold more or less

Xegginators_smokebox.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    using fire bricks was one of the first things that came to mind: simple, inexpensive and universally available.

on paper good idea but in practice somewhat limiting. pic is xl lump grate, firebricks and 14" diameter reducing ring.

firebricksvslumpring.jpg

I have not tried firebricks with smoking cheese but first thing that comes to mind is maybe not a good idea, as they will create a heat sink right next to the lump. sounds like a new experiment for cooler weather. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • HeathBar
    HeathBar Posts: 21
    Options
    Did you ever experiment with using the firebricks as a lump reducer?

XL BGE 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This thread is almost four years old.
    Flint, Michigan
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Ha ha they are all against you tonight @Fred19Flinstone
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    HahahBahahahsjahahahah. Killing me Fred!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options

Here you go. Got mine last week. Makes a huge difference in the XL and I haven't sacrificed any heat.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Don't think I have ever needed one of these even  though I may only use a firestarter chimney full. And I do have an XL
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I have one purchased with a bunch of stuff when I first got the egg. But I never use it and wonder about the point of it. I keep the firebox full, burn what I need, then shut down the egg. Next time, I rake up the coals, add a little extra lump, and fire it up. 

Seems like using the reducing ring would be a hassle starting on the second cook because it would be hard to keep everything inside the ring without making a mess. Not sure it really save that much lump.
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options
    I can see it being really handy for using it with wok cooks. Or searing a steak  when you don't need to use much lump.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have one purchased with a bunch of stuff when I first got the egg. But I never use it and wonder about the point of it. I keep the firebox full, burn what I need, then shut down the egg. Next time, I rake up the coals, add a little extra lump, and fire it up. 

Seems like using the reducing ring would be a hassle starting on the second cook because it would be hard to keep everything inside the ring without making a mess. Not sure it really save that much lump.
    Actually, I find less of a mess. Without it, little bits of lump get smashed between iron grate and the firebox. A lot of the time it doesn't even get burned. I dont have any waste with this thing. I find clean up super easy with this setup. Main thing is I am doing the same cooks with half the lump, so far. That's a win for me.