Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken cooked in my egg has an odd texture, should I leave the lid open?

Options
All;

As much as I love my egg, I can't seem to get the right texture out of my chickens and chicken parts..

It's difficult to explain, as the chicken is definitely tender, and has an excellent flavor, but it's almost as though it's rubbery or steamed tasting rather than grilled. 

I've tried a number of methods... Whole chickens indirect low and slow with a sear finish, I've done many a spatchcocked birds direct on a raised grate, drumsticks, wings...  The only thing I can figure is that my goal is usually to keep the lid closed as much as possible which is causing too high of a humidity level.  The best so far is raised grate direct spatchcocked, and the outside is nice and crispy, yet the inside is still that rubbery, almost watery texture.

What do ya'll think?  Is it 'safe' for the gasket if I cook with the lid open at the end of medium-high heat cook for about 10-20 minutes just to help dry that meat out a little bit?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Try leaving the whole chicken in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours.  Now season and cook.  I always cook raised direct and chicken is perfect.  I used the half cocked method.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What's the average internal temp when you take the chix of the Egg? When  I have cooked chicken to just around 150F,  the results have not been what I'd call rubbery, but slippery and fibrous, unlike chicken cooked to the old "safe" temp of 180.

I don't think gasket damage will be the biggest problem. If you still have the old felt gasket, as I do, I always consider them expendable. I'd be more worried about the temperature getting out of control, and having the chicken skin and fat explode into flame.

A steamed flavor offers a clue that the meat is not reaching Maillard reaction temperature, which occur above boiling temps. If it really is a matter of the chicken being too wet, let it spend a day or three exposed in the fridge. Then put a bit of oil on it before Egging, to reduce charring.

There is also the possibility that the chicken is the problem. I associate "rubbery" chicken w. older, heavier chickens. And I've had problems w. some budget chicken that has been frozen and refrozen (and refrozen). That ends up not exactly rubbery but chewy/gummy. There's a stall at my nearby farmer's market that has fresh chickens, and they always have a very nice, firm texture. Those always come out very good if I do them within 3 days.

Good luck, hope you find a method you like.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Or buddy is just used to tough, dried out chicken

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    I've noticed if you cut chicken too soon after pulling it off the egg, it can be a little tougher/rubbery.  Let it sit after you pull it.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Small chickens cooked to 155-60 breast, 175-180 thigh always come out great for me.  Avoid large birds (unless you can get your hands on a capon).  I never cook with the top open - you can get bad flare-ups and you lose the advantages of kamado design.
    Options
    Cook direct raised at 350/400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqscientist
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice, I usually cook chicken to 160 breast and 180 dark meat with an instant read.

The skin crisps up nicely, and I do get the charred maillaird reaction indications..

Always cook raised direct, about 375f

Chicken quality issues are possible.  I generally buy the publix greenwise, I believe less than 4lbs?  They marketed as young chickens.

And..... It's very possible I am used to tough, dried out chicken.  Either way, my next cook I will try ending the cook with an open lid and bottom damper almost closed and see how it goes.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never open lid to cook. No need
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.