Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini log use in the big green egg. . .

I will be smoking (3) 10-12 lb Boston butts for Easter. Generally I have always used wood chips in the egg and just "add to" on occasion during the cook to attempt to get the right amount of smoke in the meat. I have some leftover pecan wood chunks I use to use in my "other" smoker that I intend to use this cook to see if I can get a little more defined smoke flavor than with the chips. Now to the question, how do you judge how many chunks you use and do you usually refresh chunk wood on a long cook? This will be the 1st rode with using chunk on the egg and I'm a little apprehensive about too much smoke flavor. Yet I am looking for more than what I've been getting with only chips. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if Solson005 happens to read this, a great big Thank you for the recommendation on the Dizzy Pig rub. I ordered 5 samples along with the butt rub - - that stuff should be outlawed :)

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I usually use 3-4 fist size chunks thrown in at the start of the cook, and like the amount of smoke the meat picks up. Make sure you wait for the thick white smoke to clear before putting the meat on. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Oh, and welcome to the forum!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Mix the chunks in with the lump so it smokes at different times throughout the cook
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'm glad you liked it and got the sampler pack, they are so unique all you have to do is add some rub and it makes the meal taste great! 

I'm with @caliking and just throw 3-4 in at the beginning of the cook and have been happy with the results. 

I don't like taking hot things out of the egg and risk the chance of dropping a hot platesetter, burning myself or dropping the food while it should be on the egg. My tip for pork butt is open the dome as few times as possible, it all depends on your method but I do low and slow butts and try not to open the lid for at least 10 hours (depending on the temp reading of course) 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.