Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder / Picnic vs Boston Butt Side by side comparison w/ pics

Options
cdees_1993
cdees_1993 Posts: 135
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cooked these the exact same being indirect with drip pan with water and apple juice over hickory chips.  Only difference being the types of rub.  I tried to do a side by side comparison on both and since I heard that the picnic would finish sooner, I put the probe in it and monitored from there.  

Here are pics of the cook which was at 240-250 degrees for about 10 hours.  Both were similar in weight at a little over 4 lbs.

Picnic / Pork shoulder

Boston Butt

Smoke ring on picnic

Both pulled with picnic on left and butt on right

My personal favorite sauce!  Shouldn't I get paid for this promo! HAHAHAHAHAHAA  It is really good!!
Again, picnic on left and butt on the right.

All in all there isn't a lot of difference.  The most notable being that the picnic / shoulder was a little less juicy.  
Both will make you beat your brains out with your tongue, but if I had to pic I would stick with the butt!  

Again, to get them to the correct IT, it took about 10 hours.

Just depends on preference!

It definitely has her approval!!  

Comments