Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

until I buy my bge

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got my eye on a big green egg, but I'd like to wait until
I'm a bit more "flush"(self-employed cash flow).
Is there a way to use an old kettle type grill as a bge style
barbecue smoker?
Thanks.
P.S. Impressive forum!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Larry Y.,
    Ceramic is what makes an egg an egg, so it is unique.[p]Some fine Q can be had with your kettle grill though, and the basic principle of air flow is similar. Start using lump charcoal, save some bucks for your egg, and you are well on your way! You might be able to round up some tips more specific to your kettle on "bbq-forum.com" or Ray Bassos (see link section). There are many kettle users over there. Good luck.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Larry Y.,[p]The book "Smoke and Spice" talks about lo and slo with a kettle grill. The basis, if I remember correctly, is to only put charcoal on one side of the kettle and to put a water pan on the other side. Add wood chips/chunks to the charcoal and cook the food over the drip pan.[p]I think this is what you mean when you ask if there's a way to have it act as a BGE style cooker but if not, post a followup and someone much more knowledgeable than me will reply. Of course, if you want all the properties of the BGE in your kettle, you'd have to fashion some kiln fired ceramic walls around the kettle's metal...and that's obviously a little complicated :)[p]Cornfed
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Larry Y.,
    do you live close to Atlanta? BGE has good prices vice local distributor.

• WallyQ
    WallyQ Posts: 10
    Options
    Larry Y.,[p]Practicing on a Weber Kettle is a fine start to learn "low and slow". They make a "widget" that attaches to the grill grate to keep the charcoal out of the way for indirect cooking. I've slow cooked some fine chicken, turkey, and ribs using this method. But don't stop there! The BGE is much easier to use and will flat out spoil you. Good luck as you go through the learning curve.

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    Larry Y.,[p]Before I bought my BGE, I tried the Cook's magazine recipe
    (see link below) on my Weber. It was very good. It's also what made me buy my BGE....there was too much guess work and
    too much regular work.
    You will not regret it.[p]

[ul][li]Master recipe: Pulled Pork[/ul]