Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessory- Cast iron griddle

I picked up one of these the other day:

I thought it might be a nice way to do some fajitas or something similar, and a way to get grill marks.  I tried them out with some steaks using a reverse sear. I put the grill pan on the egg under a raised grid.  The grill pan acted as the indirect heat barrier, and it started to heat up.  A strip and a porterhouse cooked indirect with plenty of oak smoke at 275ish until they were about 125 IT.  Removed the steaks and the raised grid and kicked the egg up to about 600 and threw them back on about for about 90 seconds per side. 

Grill marks...mission accomplished!  This worked quite well for a reverse sear and the nice part is I didn't have to mess with removing the hot plate setter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Beautiful pics. Nice grill marks, nice temperature of meat. Well done.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    That meat looks amazing
    \m/

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    SOLD!  I have to have one of these!!  Really came out nice and a perfect size for the egg, while the reverse side can be used to blacken...  Thanks for the info!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those are some purty lookin steaks. Strong work!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Nice looking steaks. Looks like Griddle worked good.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice marks on that meat! =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I've used that griddle for years.  Couple things I've found with it are: 

- if you use it a lot at high temps, you're more than likely gonna have to pick which side you want, as each time it's used you burn off the underside's protective seasoning.  Trying to keep both sides adequately seasoned was/is outside my wheelhouse.....

-  you can gauge how hot the CI is by its color.  The lighter the gray it is, the hotter it is.

-   on the CI, you can use water droplets to help on CI temp.  if the droplets bounce, the CI is hotter than if the water droplets evaporate. 

-  again, depending on CI temp, you can drop a small piece of smoking wood directly on the CI to get smoke going. better than dropping it on the lump as it smolders better on the CI.

- if you are going to rock with high temp CI on the flat side, trim the  heavy fat from the steaks, all the fat does is melt, burn and impart an off taste.  

- I prefer the flat smooth side as I rather have an even sear across the entire steak....

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +1 on tjv's post. The even sear across the entire surface is why I still like pan searing sometimes. 
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Of course, you could accomplish the same thing with mangrates. Just sayin'
    Mamaroneck
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Of course, you could accomplish the same thing with mangrates. Just sayin'
    Mangrates would do this AND clean up the dishes.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Steaks look great! 

That looks just like the one I use in my large, mine is a Outdoor Gourmet I found it at Academy on sale. The best thing I use it for is homemade tortillas. So much better than the ones at the store. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks all...it was some tasty beef!  

@tjv and @Eggcelsior - thanks for the tips.  I will definitely try a flat-sear sometime.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Warped a rectangular griddle similar.  You can get it too hot.  I like to do a raised direct 500-600.  The key is a long preheat, similar to a ceramic pizza stone, an hour or so.  The CI gets plenty hot for a good sear, and you save the seasoning on the bottom of your vessel.  Have torched the bottom of a few CI pieces this way.  Like tjv and Eggcelsior, I prefer the flat griddle.  More contact = more Maillard.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker said:

Warped a triangular griddle similar.  You can get it too hot.  I like to do a raised direct 500-600.  The key is a long preheat, similar to a ceramic pizza stone, an hour or so.  The CI gets plenty hot for a good sear, and you save the seasoning on the bottom of your vessel.  Have torched the bottom of a few CI pieces this way.  Like tjv and Eggcelsior, I prefer the flat griddle.  More contact = more Maillard.

Mangrates never warp!
    Flint, Michigan