Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or mini???

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and just got the green light for my next purchase. Lookin for options for all you guys & gals out there that have multiple size eggs. Which way should I go?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I think large and mini or small is a great combo.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188

Wish I could help.  I've also got the green light to add another BGE.  The problem I'm having, I can't decide which size to get to go with my LBGE.  Mini or Small.  I probably won't travel too much with it, but will from time to time.  The price difference for me is around $160.  Debating on whether the extra cooking space is worth it.

If any eggers have both the Mini and Small, I'm also curious as to whether or not there is a significant difference in lump usage between the two.

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Going to watch this thread w/ much interest as I also have the green light to hatch a new egg. Just not sure which one i want.
  • I might suggest adding another large. The toys....err... I mean tools are interchangeable so you wouldn't be having to invest a bunch more than just the Egg. I went with 2 larges and it worked out great (I did add a small eventually but that was a impulse buy :):D
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I debated this for months, went with the Small.  When I saw the mini was good for a couple sausages, two chicken breasts, but only one steak, thought it'd be a deal-breaker.  However, as often as I have a dinner date I could've just fired up the Large then anyway.
    However, I've really gotten into wokking on the Egg, and the Small is ideal for that; I don't know if there's a good way to wok on the Mini...  I'm very pleased with my decision now.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Botch said:

I debated this for months, went with the Small.  When I saw the mini was good for a couple sausages, two chicken breasts, but only one steak, thought it'd be a deal-breaker.  However, as often as I have a dinner date I could've just fired up the Large then anyway.

However, I've really gotten into wokking on the Egg, and the Small is ideal for that; I don't know if there's a good way to wok on the Mini...  I'm very pleased with my decision now.  
    Have seen plenty of pics of more than 1 steak on a mini. I am still deciding but think mini is perfect for 2 people

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I would not underestimate the mini just from cooks like I've seen from @Mickey's post above, but I would also consider if you are just cooking meat or if you are doing sides at the same time.  I almost always have a couple of potatoes on before I put the meat on so I went with the medium for my second, probably could have gotten away with the small but my dealer had the medium for about the same price.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    There are a few threads already on this. I would do a search. A lot if good info.
    I have a large/small combo and love them both.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mattman3969
    I guess I should have said that the extra egg will also travel with us when we head to the lake or the mountains. I am perfectly cool with my large at this time but I am always the guy doin the cookin on vacation, whether it is just with the wiff ( her nickname) in the mountains or on the lake with a few good friends.

analyze adapt overcome

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    If you talk bad about the Mini, Mickey will find you
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I say get the small. Because it is a little bigger in terms of cooking area, and still portable. But a little while later when you want to get the mini, it will not be as much as the small. That's my strategy anyways. :)). Don't te ll SWMBO!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I was in same predicament and finally decided on small. I pack it in basement of Motorhome for camping and this past winter I have used it more than my large.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    IMHO- it comes down a to weighing in on the pros and cons of each (pun intended).  I got a small for Xmas this year to compliment my large and here are the reasons:

There are only 2 of us and I wanted something that would heat up quicker and SAVE LUMP.  The small had more accessories, and although I do have aspirations of taking it on the road, travel with the small will not be frequent so the extra weight etc should not be that much of an issue.  

If you are an avid camper, or tailgater, a mini may be a good choice, but for me the small seems to be working fine. 

So- again IMHO if ease of portability is paramount, get the mini.  If you are into accessories, and a little more surface area go for the small.

It's just a matter of time before you get egg # 3 anyway!  Vegas gives me 6 months before I get a mini to go with the Large and small.  Any takers on the under?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• I couldn't decide.  I had the large & bought a small for a companion and to take for cooks on the road.  I've taken my small on picnics and to my Mom's a lot and it's really a workhorse!  I have some back problems and Wilma has had some as well and lifting the small was agrivating it.  So when I saw a mini for sale, I bit hard on it.  Now that I have them, I couldn't imagine being without any! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    2 adults my 4 and 1 year old on the mini just fine. Only downside can't do meal and sides at same time.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I went with a Large / Small combo. The pictures of the things people are cooking on the mini is pretty amazing, but I got mine for camping, tailgating, and taking over to friends houses. So almost every cook I do on the small is for at least 4 people if not more. I got a eggCARTen to help make it easier to transport places and am very happy with the small. 

I have also done a 9 lb turkey on my small. 
    And spatchcock chicken might be a tight squeeze on the mini
    People love their minis but I think the small fit what I wanted to do a little bit better. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Only had the large for 2 months and the wife and Inhave been debating this. Thinking about the mini because its easier to load on the boat to head out to the islands. But then again when we are at Blue Angela show there are 6-8 in the boat. So I am more confused after reading this. I think the best plan is to find a friend with a small or mini and then get the other.
  • It's gotta be your fit man.

I can't knock the mini anymore, saw one in person and was surprised. Still don't think it would have fit my need.

I am in the small large combo group. Just bought a small Friday.

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Exactly what @MrCookingNurse said you need to find the right egg for you or get one now and one down the road. @Chubbs had a great post that can help confuse you even more, lots of pictures of things being cooked on a mini. Me thinks me want a mini….

Hope you figure out which one is right for you. I like the small and it fits my needs but the mini is a great option too. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I don't think anyone has said this.

1. What are you wanting to cook on this new egg?

2. Where are you going to cook on this new egg?

3. For how many people on average will you cook for on this egg?

4. What is the weight limit for you to carry if planning on traveling with egg?

If you answer these questions your decision should be much easier. I wanted to cook meals, for at least 4 people, 2 most times but I wanted to make meals. I want to go camping with my second egg and tailgate. I can pick up my large by myself so the 75 lbs small is no problem. @solson005 has a ton of great pics of the small. @mickey will gladly pimp out his mini. Too each his own. You will not be disappointed with either egg and you will still want a third when you get it home!

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I flip flopped back and forth between a mini and a small. More leaning towards a mini. A phone call with Mickey and price considerations (what SWMBO'ed would let me spend) made the mini the perfect fit. Works great for the two of us. What ever one you get, you'll be happy with it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Do you almost always want leftovers? A small might be better. I'm in an urban area, and space and placement were huge considerations. I can cook protein and sides on a mini without problems for 2, but not with leftovers. Do you want to do mostly quick cooks? Another consideration for us. I can get the mini up to speed and burn off VOCs in 10 minutes with a torch. Also, cleaning it out is extremely quick and easy.

You can get any accessory you want for the mini, so don't make that a consideration.

I'm the main egger, but the mini was my husband's idea. We have it right next to the back door on a landing.We don't have to leave the house to monitor it. The cold never stops us now. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mattman3969
    I was on the road today and saw a BGE sign so I whooped the ol' truck in to see what they had. Talked to the owner about the pricing on the smalls. He had a last years model in a nest that he quoted me $539 for. I am feelin a bit guilty about even thinking bout another egg but oh we'll we will see. How does that price sound to you guys that have bought a small?

analyze adapt overcome

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Today's cook 6lber on the mini, turbo style.

BTW loving the Rutland.

Seattle, WA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Mattman, you can do better. Just wait after the spring grill rush.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited March 2013

Again, to echo the voices and advise above, Get what the mission calls for. Very true.

If you buy a mini and take it to the cabin and there is 4 in your family and another 4 each in two other families you will be "low and slow"  :)

I guess the small with the yet to be released swing rack can take it rather boldly. I have the woo and indirect raised already.

Yesterday did Fajitas on it on a CI grid - Sirloin, thin slices 4-5 at a time. Did not bat an eyelid.

:-*

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    We (2 adults and 2 children) have both a Large and Mini. To be honest I am more and more appreciating the Mini. It is portable, easy to put on a table and a small powerhouse. Its space is limited but now we buy one thick rib-eye instead of 2 thinner ones. Tastes better too :)
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    I love my lg/med combo....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I was on the road today and saw a BGE sign so I whooped the ol' truck in to see what they had. Talked to the owner about the pricing on the smalls. He had a last years model in a nest that he quoted me $539 for. I am feelin a bit guilty about even thinking bout another egg but oh we'll we will see. How does that price sound to you guys that have bought a small?

Thats the price I got in February. Everyother place wanted to charge another $120 for the nest.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.