Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg goes to the lake

I got invited up to a friends family lake house at Grand Lake this past weekend and everyone wanted me to make something on the egg they keep hearing about and seeing pictures but haven't gotten the chance to eat any food off of it. So after talking about the plans and menu I decided on pulled pork for saturday night, so I could just plug in the digiQ and get out on the lake during the afternoon. Here is everything all loaded up ready to hit the road. 

My friends wife ended up staying at work a little later than originally planned and they had to deal with a wreck on the highway so I was first to arrive and got all setup and prep work out of the way so I could relax once everyone arrived. Luckily they had this green wagon and even with the EggCarten carrying it down to the bottom of the house wouldn't have been very fun. 

Did I mention how lucky I am, I love this place and will come cook anytime they will have me up! 

Since I was the only one there I decided to prep the pork out on the deck and enjoy the view. I used my goto Bad Byron's Butt Rub on a 8.35 lb bone in boston butt.  

I gave it a good heavy coat of rub and stuck it back in the fridge. 

Then I got out my travel table all setup and went down to the dock to enjoy the view / weather until my friends arrived. 

We had some pizza from a local place that my buddies wife craves when they aren't at the lake and had a great Friday night enjoying good company. I got up at 4 to start the egg and got it stabilized and the DigiQ all setup at 275° and threw some apple chips mixed throughout the lump. Back to bed and woke up to a beautiful sunny day at the lake. We got the boat cleaned up and put it in the water and spent some time out cruising around on the lake. Very few people out on the water but there were some fisherman around. We headed back after a couple hours and I bumped up the temp to 325° to finish the pork a little faster. 

I only had my phone out to get a couple of pictures and didn't have my watch on but after a golf cart ride around the digiQ was beeping and it was at 185° so I stayed close by and started doing a probe test at 190° and finally was happy and pulled it off the grill at 203°. 

Sitting on the top deck was almost impossible the smell was so good! I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a cooler 

After a couple hour rest I had some potatoes going in the oven and threw some asparagus on the egg to get some sides with dinner. 

I finally get to use a Christmas present to help pull the pork 

I got some Bone Suckin Sauce to go with it, but it isn't like Oklahoma Sauces so I had a bottle of my goto head country for anyone that wanted. 

Here is a plated picture with some purple crashed potatoes, asparagus and a great pulled pork sandwich. 

The next day was FREEZING and misting on and off all morning, it was hard to believe that we were in flip flops and shorts out on the boat the day before. But we had to get the cover back on the boat, the dogs were still happy to be outside though! 

As we were doing laundry and getting everything all cleaned up I noticed over 20 deer down by the dock, I was trying to get my flip flop on as the deck was wet and scared them away as I was taking a picture. 

It was a great weekend and I am always grateful anytime I have gotten to go up there. My friend wants me to bring my egg over to his parents sometime or up to the lake when they are there to try and convince his dad he doesn't need to buy a gasser every couple of years and just to get a egg. Everyone enjoyed the meal and I will cook up at the lake any chance I get.. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Wow. Looks like a blast.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Looks great!  I have never seen those clips you used on the asparagus before.  What a great idea.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Thanks @rholt it was a blast! 

@BOWHUNR Thanks! They were another Christmas present I think I saw them at Ace Hardware, but here they are at Sur La Table. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Love the pics, thanks for sharing. 

I want a Small BGE so dang bad!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    look awesome. @solson005 can you tell me where you got the asparagus holders?

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @JWBurns sure, it was a great time. I highly recommend getting a small egg to take with you. It is so much better sharing meals off the egg with friends and family when you can't be at your house. 

@six_egg Thanks, I got them for Christmas but I believe Ace Hardware has them here they are on amazon or Sur la Table they are made by a company called Charcoal Companion here is a where to buy page on their website @BOWHUNR here is other options where to find them too. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    How very nice to be able to return the favor of an invitation with a meal. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited March 2013

Wow, dude you are singin my song. A lake, and Egg and Makers Mark. Have bass boat, will travel.

Who does that Chesapeake glass belong to? I am working on a 6th project for them right now.

• Solson005
    Thanks @jlsm I couldn't agree more. 

@Plano_JJ it was a great weekend. My friend in a District landman and his dad was is some sort of VP at CHK. I used to work for a brokerage firm that dealt exclusively with CHK but in 2009 they lost the play in Arkansas and my group was cut. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Solson005: I love it when your small takes trips! Looks like a wonderful weekend by the lake. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @caliking I'm getting pretty good with my mobile egg setup and it was a great relaxing weekend. Neither me or the little egg were ready to leave, but I promised we would be back soon. I'm guessing by the end of the summer a large or a XL egg will find a permeant home at that lake house and I will come cook anytime I can. It was also fun to stuff the small egg full and do a longer cook even if I let the digiQ do most of the work and didn't get the greatest pictures of the cook. Hopefully I will be able to take a trip to the Houston area and visit some family and maybe meet up with you and other eggheads in your area to grill up some great food. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Another good post to help convince the wife for a small to travel, great post, thanks for sharing. I need some of those clips now as well.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Solson005
    @AlbertaEgger thanks the small is great to travel with and you can still cook for a crowd. Those clips and firewire skewers are some of the best ways to do veggies on the eggs especially the smaller ones. 
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Great pics, thanks for sharing, but get a seatbelt on that egg, thats precious cargo!!!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks like a great trip. Looks like a win/win to me. You get to enjoy their lake house and boat (as well as your egg and egged food). They get to enjoy your egg/cooking.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    @chainsaw19 don't worry I feel much better with it in the eggcarten then I ever did with a seatbealt around it. It moved too much with the seatbelt and while I try to drive safe I had to slam on the brakes driving through Tulsa and the egg didn't move at all on friday. Trust me if it moved too much I would probably go buy a different vehicle. I travel with the small almost weekly and it doesn't move. 
  • Solson005
    Thanks @chubbs I like to think so and hopefully will do it again and again once it gets really nice out and lake season is in full force this summer!  B-) 
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Awesome pictures. Makes me want a small BGE... and a lake house.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @nashbama small eggs are great, I wish I had a mini egg when I was traveling for work a couple years ago. Being able to cook on a egg at a friends, camping, or at the lake makes meals fun rather than just eating and all I had to do was get up early and throw it on and then back to sleep and went out on the water. Its pretty hard to do that little work and have such a great meal to feed a group of people. 

I'm just glad I have friends with lake houses, I would love to have my own but also like going to different places, for camping and kayaking, I probably wouldn't have the flexibility if I had another house and boat. 
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Looks fantaatic and I can't think of a better way to use an egg, at the lake, cooking pulled pork for friends. Did you have to refill the coal or were you able to do that on a mini with just one load?
    Columbia, SC

• Solson005
    Thanks @sarivers. It is a small egg not the mini, but I had it loaded up pretty good. There wasn't much left but it got the job done!  I really enjoyed taking my egg with me and will continue to travel with it and share meals with friends. I will do another butt on it sometime and do a better job documenting time and methods, this was just a fun weekend and I didn't focus on the little details like I usually do. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Solson005: if you are headed this way, do let us know. There are quite a few Houston eggheads on the forum, and we could probably put together a decent party. No choppers or Cessnas, but I'm sure there will be good food and drink!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Glad you had fun and a good cook!  Our cook turned out fantastic as well.  We had visitors from Michigan and Kansas City, so I did a couple slabs of ribs first with my new DigiQ (for Saturday) and then put the Butt on and cooked it all night through to next morning, which I pulled and we had later that night (Sunday).   My house looked like Rock Stars had invaded so I would call that a win!!  :) 
  • Solson005
    @caliking I will and if you haven't heard from me but a few of the local eggers are getting together let me know, I have four cousins in the greater houston area plus their mom so I have plenty of reasons to make a trip as well as meeting some good eggheads I will have to remember not to charter the jet that weekend… 

@Sookie It was a great weekend! I'm glad the first run with your digiQ went great and you had a few really good cooks over the weekend! 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks like a great time at a great place with great friends and great eats!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q it was a blast and a fun long cook to do one the small even if I didn't keep track of the exact times. Getting a smaller egg to travel has been great to share the food with family and friends. I'm trying to talk my aunt who lives in Walnut Creek she needs to get a egg and am trying to get her to the eggsbythebayfest if I can't get my egg to Phoenix when we are both there beforehand. I wish I knew about the egg when I was working in Watsonville, Monterey, Ukiah, and Eureka a couple years ago life could have been so much better traveling with a mini in my trunk...
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @Solson005 - if your aunt decides to go to the EBTB fest she shouldn't wait too long before signing up. Each year it sells out earlier & earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if it is sold out by mid April. Hope she can make it! I'll be cooking there again but as a "wanna be sous chef" for my buddy this year. I'm looking forward to attending the meet & greet and not having to cook briskets in the wee hours of the morning (which I did the last 2 yrs).

Sounds like you worked in some areas with some nice coastline views. I can picture stopping on a beach with a Mini & enjoying the view!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Ohhh my goodness.... I have some serious envy going on right now. :) Looks like heaven to me.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Dyal_SC it was a great weekend and I can't wait to go back when the weather is even better! 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @Solson005 what do you use for your indirect setup for your small?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.