Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food saver: which one

Found two food savers at target tonight. V2000 and v3440
The 2000 was 69$
The 3440 was 129$

I'm buy one tomorrow, on vacation and gonna run back by. These were best prices I could find even online.

Which ones do y'all have? Do you get a lot of use out of it? Pros cons any thoughts would be appreciated. I could see myself snagging bulk buys or out of dates and freezing em up.

XLBGE 

Comments

• mm8552
    mm8552 Posts: 12
    I have the V3460.  I held off on buying one because I was afraid I would not use it...I was wrong.  I use it every week and love it.  I wish I had bought one a long time ago.  I cannot think of any cons, but the pros are 1)  If I over-cook, which tends to happen when I cook, I can freeze the leftovers 2) as you stated, I buy in bulk and freeze 3) I freeze veggies from my garden for use over the winter and 4) you can quickly marinate steaks, chicken, etc.  The bags are expensive so you have to factor that into your food savings, but I wait until they have a sale and stock up.  Also, Costco and Sams have bulk deals on the bags sometimes.  Hope this helps.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @mm8552
    Thanks. How does the frozen leftovers turn out? With a family of 2 and a 1 year old, there aren't too many meals that don't have left overs even after I pack for work lunch next day.

XLBGE 
  • mm8552
    mm8552 Posts: 12
    They turn out great...no freezer burn and everything still tastes fresh.  I bought a big box of sliced mangos last month and froze them.  I took some out of the freezer this evening and made some mango chutney and mango salsa and both tasted great.  I have found that when I freeze pulled pork, it stays more moist if I freeze it after I sauce it.  I have frozen pulled pork, veggies, fruit, dressing and brisket after they were cooked and veggies, raw meats, raw fish, etc. prior to being cooked.  I love caramelized onions but I don't like the smell of them cooking so I cook a ton of them at a time them freeze them in individual servings. 
  • Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    I also have the V3460 and am pleased with it. I have the "marinator" container also and use it several times a week.
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Freeze the brisket before you slice it; in hunks.  Changed how I eat at my house...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    The 3440. Food cooked or uncooked is all very good when it's wrapped in the foodsaver. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • MrCookingNurse
    I feel like the 3400 is nice cause of how it helps with the bags and the bag cutter. But the other model is so much cheaper.

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    You are right. It is cheaper. You could have bought a weber instead of an egg too. ;;)
  • MrCookingNurse
    @grannyX4
    Ouch!!! Haha you got me there! I guess with two eggs loaded with eggcesories and a home built table what's another 75$ to get the good one!

XLBGE 
  • GrannyX4
    My first foodsaver was the cheaper one. It served me well butttttttttt,.....
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    3400 and love it. Only issue was trying to shove an 8# butt into the bag one day. But greased up it went in. Love it for everything though
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    I feel like the 3400 is nice cause of how it helps with the bags and the bag cutter. But the other model is so much cheaper.
    We have the one with the bag cutter and storage for the roll  so much better than the old one we had where you had the cut the bag store them elsewhere  . Either one you won't  regret and will find you use it as much as the egg .Also you can buy bulk bags on ebay and other places online cheaper than most stores 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I just got the 3880 and love it. Starting to think ahead and buy extra meals that I can freeze for later.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • V3840 works great. Auto Seal. Accessory mode. Make sure you purchase the canister set also. I purchased mine when it was BOGO. Saves a ton on bags. http://m.products.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?pid=8672
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nola was telling me how much he liked his...message him. Too many beers to remember.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Game Saver Silver. $199. On their web site
    Chesapeake, VA
  • MrCookingNurse
    I just pulled the trigger. Got it in store at target 125$ for the V3440 has a couple bags and one 11" roll in it.

Supper excited. Gonna have to catch the marinade box's online

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Our Sam's Club had these in the clearance section.  We bought one (even though we already have two) - it was half off the normal price.  Plus, came with about $35 worth of bags.
    I'm using the Game Saver Silver due to its larger capacity, quick repetitive sealing and the 12 volt cord. It's not pretty and you won't want to let it sit on your kitchen counter, but it's a workhorse.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • A
    J_Que said:

I'm using the Game Saver Silver due to its larger capacity, quick repetitive sealing and the 12 volt cord. It's not pretty and you won't want to let it sit on your kitchen counter, but it's a workhorse.

Amen
    Chesapeake, VA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    My local Craigslist has a 3250 for $150. It includes a bunch of accessories. They say its new and was a gift that they won't use. It think if I can talk them down to $100, I'll go for it. Anyone think this is a good deal? Anyone think this is a good model?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009