Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to buy from thermoworks?

Options
Thermapen OR one of the handheld thermocoupler kits? Yes there is a bit of cost difference but wondering if anybody has taken that plunge and is happy with the results. Thermapen is going to be purchased if not one of the kits. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html#MoreInfoTab
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    No experience with the combo. I have the pen and the infrared and love both. If it doesn't change the accuracy in either I can't see why not.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thermopen is the most used item I have in my kitchen and for the egg
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Andy_in_CO
    Options

I have the Thermopen the TW8060 and an MTC. I got the Pro BBQ Kit, and I can't really use the armored probe because it leaves the Egg open too much. If I had it to do again I honestly would buy the 8060 with at least one penetration probe and the ceramic flexible probe to monitor the temp at the grate and the Thermopen.

I use the Thermopen instead of the MTC and use the TW8060 on almost every cook. If you are only going to get one get the Thermopen.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    +1 on the Thermapen. Use it almost everyday.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options
    Andy-in-CO, can you not loop it the daisy wheel?  Just curious as I was thinking of getting the Pro BBQ Kit?
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    I recently got a Thermapen and it is probably one of the best purchases I have made. In my household everyone likes their steak done differently. With the Thermapen I can make everyone theirs exactly how they like it without guessing. Also works great for any small pieces of meat that are prone to being over cooked.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Thanks to @andy_in_CO
    Lots of info offline. As I think about it I have to decide if I need to know grill temp....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Andy_in_CO
    Options
    Andy-in-CO, can you not loop it the daisy wheel?  Just curious as I was thinking of getting the Pro BBQ Kit?
    You definitely can loop it in through the daisy. I found that when I was trying to cook at 225 or so I needed the daisy closed more than I could do it with that probe in there. Plus when I opened the dome it tended to pull the probe out of the meat. Only a problem if you need to open the dome though!