Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Boston Butt

Hello, I have a 3.67lb Boston Butt I am going to cook tomorrow on my large BGE. This will be my first try on my Egg so I was looking for some pointers. Temp and time mainly. I'm going to rub it down and let it sit in the fridge until I fire up the Egg. Thank you, Strummer

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148757/first-pork-shoulder-progress-report-and-pics#latest

here is a link to my first Butt 3 week ago..Good luck and keep us posted

PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    If you want it done fast... Go 325-350 dome temp indirect setup until internal temp of meat hits 160. Take off egg and wrap in foil with a little apple juice. Put back on with same setup and dome temp. Leave it alone till IT hits 195-200. Wrap in towel and put in cooler until your ready to eat. Never cooked a butt that small but I'm guessing it probably take somewhere around 4.5-5.5 hours with this method maybe quicker.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

I'll suggest the turbo style  -- tomorrow is Saint Patty's Day and i'm figuring you want it for that!

I'm figuring you have a plate setter and can cook indirect.  Set up for indirect cooking- plate setter legs up - grill at gasket level.  Hope you have some type of wood to produce smoke for the first two hours??  Stabilize your egg as low as it will cook -- like 225 degrees.  Put the butt on the grill and let it cook low and slow in the smoke for about two and a half hours -- you should be close to 160 degrees internal temperature??  If not keep cooking it till 160 is met.  Pull the butt off and wrap it in about three layers of tin foil -  nice and tight - an so it doesn't have a chance of leaking out all the good juices it is going to produce.  Plave it back on the grill and cook it until the internal is 205 degrees.  Remove and place  in a small ice cooler for one hour.  Just before serving -- open carefully because it will be steamy -- and shred with two forks.  Mix the liquid that is in the foil back over the shredded meat.  You can hold the wrapped butt up to four hours in the cooler (provided you don't open it) if needed before shredding and serving!!  Enjoy --- good and simple..

PS: Next time you will cook a larger butt for leftovers..

• Strummer
    Strummer Posts: 21
    I have the plate setter! Once it's wrapped in the foil and put back on, do I leave a probe in it until 205°?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Pull probe out... Wrap in foil... Put probe back in through the foil...monitor temp

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Right -- remember you always cook to temperature -- you need to know what is happening inside the egg.  Now i inject my butts, so i cook to an end internal of 210 degrees.  I use Bad Bryon's Butt Rub -- it's a mild rub - and inject with Lawry's Teriyaki marinate -- i can get about six ounces into the butt..
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Rock the Casbah with this one, Joe