Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how popular/well known are BGE in your area?

Options
13»

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    From what i see in sales and number of eggs in any local depends on how the Egg product is promoted.  Face it, Eggs sell Eggs!  Not many eggers, have their "stuff" on the front porch!  So the exposure is word of mouth.  My closest dealer is in Gainesville, Fl. and his main product is stoves and heaters.  He uses a medium egg for a door stopper on the side of his shop, not even seen by passers by??  And his stock is very limited, and knowledge of the product very limited.  When i went back to order some accessories, i had to explain from the catolog what they were for!!  Now, in a smaller town, North of Gainesville, there is an Ace Hardware, with a big display.  Once a month, they will have something cooking to really draw the interest of their customers.  They have a full display of accessories, and it draws people to the product.  This is like the "Ford VS Chevy" arguement.  If you don't have a genuine interest in a product, it is hard to sell it.  Whenever a friend of mine hears i have an Egg, the first thing i hear is "they are super expensive!".  But when you explain and compare what the average "back yard warrior" spends on BBQ equipment during their lives -- they get the picture. What really suprises me, is the number of people i know who own one and seldom use it, or use it to cook a few steaks every once in a while??  I think these people bought it just because it cost a lot of money??  I have even tried to convert a few of these people to the REAL advantages of the Egg with poor results???  
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    In my little neighborhood I am the only one with an Egg, though a neighbor has a Primo in a table...

My BIL has a friend with one... Some of the people I work with know what they are from seeing them on cooking shows. More now that I have brought food into the office every so often.

Anyone that bitches about the cost is a fool... I was looking at Weber gassers before going with the Egg and they cost just as much with a limited warranty and no good way to do low and slows or cook in the cold.

I have one neighbor across the street that just got a Weber Kettle as a start into cooking with charcoal before moving into an Egg. I'll give him a pass though, he loves my egg and is just waiting till  the wife gives him the okay LOL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I was speaking with a lady at my bank about one last week. I told her how much I love mine, and she said my husband wants one, but don't they cost around $3,500.! 

I told her no way. I think a lot of people think they are very expensive and don't really seriously check into the actual price. They just rule it out from the start.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I have 3 dealers between me and the highway but don't know anyone else with one in my direct area. My friends all love it but think its to much work so they would rather just bring the meat and let me deal with it. I'm fine with that. I know at least 3 people that are planning on purchasing one.
    Lynnwood WA
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    An observation from the GWN - GTA.... 

There has certainly been more marketing awareness of BGE products since the ownership - management changes. Personally, I still believe that word of mouth has lead to the success of this product.  

With the exception of GOV (the BGE Cdn evangelist) there aren't many BGE representatives that work with the products frequently and get it. Most of the dealers in my area have little (if any) BGE experience and frequently steer prospects to other brands.

It has been my experience that eggheads tend to promote the product creating a buzz. There's something about the mystique of the egg and how it cooks.  Once people try the food, they're hooked and don't spend a lot of time thinking about their next purchase.

Cheers,

Michael
    RGBHV
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Here in WNY few people have them. In fact none of my friends have one. Everyone says they are too expensive. When you compare it to a good gasser, that argument goes out the window. Plus no gasser can do all the things an egg can do. If they would demo more, they would sell more. Once you see an egg in action, it sells itself.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I can't argue with people about the cost -- and lets face it, there are other products on the market that can produce the same results -- just takes a whole lot more attention and more fuel.  I have some friends who have always been into smokin BBQ, way before the Egg was popular.  The guy who i was boasting about "my low and slow" pork, was cooking on a $100.00 twenty year old R2D2 type smoker -- the legs had rusted off and he had it proped up on two concrete blocks!  This is the guy who taught me about "turbo cooking" my butts.  I had my doubts, but tried it, and it works.  Just consider the weber kettle, and cooking a butt with the charcoal off to the opposite side of the kettle.  Sure you had to add coal four or five times, but it produced some great pulled pork.  The egg's insulated walls keeps the fuel use to a minimum, and makes long cooks easy - once you figure the system out...    
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't know anyone in my area that has an Egg except the dealer closest to me and my dealer 20 miles away.  While hanging out and cooking with my dealer yesterday, he told me he's sold six eggs since he started selling BGEs last year.  We're going to do a big demo cook at the farmer's market in my dealer's town in June.  The BGE rep is letting us use the BGE balloon.  That should spread the word in my dealer's town.
    Flint, Michigan