Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Turkey Breast Help

Options
I need to cook two large breasts. I am wondering if direct or indirect would be better. What temp? Thanks,

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited March 2013
    Options

Curt, usually someone would have responded to this question by now.  For chicken or turkey, I do a "raised direct" method, meaning I have the BGE grill extender on the main grate, to raise it into the dome more, for more of a convection oven effect, and less potential for burning.  I usually go about 350 raised direct, and towards the end, the chicken juices drop on the coals and create some additional smoke flavoring.  Chicken takes about an hour this way; 160 internal breast and 180 internal for the dark meat. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    The only time I've done turkey breast, I did it indirect for about the same time and temp as 500.  With a few chunks of apple wood, it turned out really good.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited March 2013
    Options

I've done a bunch of bunch of boneless turkey breasts and always go indirect at 350 as well. Check out my attempt.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149208

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    My vote is for 400 raised direct.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.