Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Why do we do it this way?

I've owned my Large Egg for about 2 yrs - love it!  Working on getting better with each cook.  I'm a long time lurker on the site, but this is my first discussion question.  Please take it easy on a newbie!

My question is this:  When doing steaks, or really any moderate or higher cook temperature, why do we put the rub on BEFORE we put the meat on the heat?  With the exception of salt, most of our rub ingredients are organic in nature - basically dried and ground plant matter.  Plant material burns.  Spices contain oils that will burn, or at least evaporate under heat.  Aren't we losing a lot of flavor by doing this?

To test this before sticking my foot in my mouth on the forum, I tried seasoning a steak after cooking.  Not bad, but definitely not as good as seasoning before.  So why does seasoning before cooking work so well, when it seems we would be burning up all of the good stuff?

Comments