Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef - make my own

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    That's it. Very nice recipe. I will be making three packer corned beefs for next week.
    Sounds good.  Even though I'm not Catholic, (I just married into it), I enjoy the boiled corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots meal.  We just finished up our batch of homemade Bailey's to hand out to friends on St. Patty's Day.  Tasty stuff.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    very nice, someone used to give me homemade Bailey's in the past and I loved it.  Good beer, some boiled food and a kilt will be my calling.  
  • IrishDevl
    Got an 18 lb packer and s 14 lb packer today. One I will make into corned beef the other pastrami.
    That looks good. I just can't find packers anywhere. Maybe Fresh Market has some. True butchers are few and far between out here in suburbatory.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    500 said:

That looks good. I just can't find packers anywhere. Maybe Fresh Market has some. True butchers are few and far between out here in suburbatory.

Someone has a post on here and it looks like he has packers delivered. Definitely nice to have.
    If I can find a good brisket, I'll cure my own for our St. Patty's meal. You inspired me to try it @IrishDevl.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can use eye of round or bottom round (silver side) for corning also.
    Do you have a Walmart or Samsclub? Where do you live?
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't have a habit of looking elsewhere off the main forum. Yes I have a Sam's and a Wally Mart right next to each other. You're saying they have packers? The only non-corned brisket Kroger has is this little 2 pounder frisbee looking flat. Not appetizing looking at all. They've got got plenty of big flats already corned with that weird red gel in the cryovac. And yes Nola, they also have already corned rounds, look like bottom round. Much leaner looking. Not sure if it will have that authentic corned beef taste though.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    500 said:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't have a habit of looking elsewhere off the main forum. Yes I have a Sam's and a Wally Mart right next to each other. You're saying they have packers? The only non-corned brisket Kroger has is this little 2 pounder frisbee looking flat. Not appetizing looking at all. They've got got plenty of big flats already corned with that weird red gel in the cryovac. And yes Nola, they also have already corned rounds, look like bottom round. Much leaner looking. Not sure if it will have that authentic corned beef taste though.

I have eaten the corned beef round on the past and not my favorite. Just not corned beef in my opinion, but some brand sold it. The Wallmsrt near me sells packers, I was just there today and cleaned them out of royal oak - like 6 dollars for and eight pound bag. Still live weekend warrior for long cooks, but for steaks and fast cooks royal oak heats up do fast. I digress. I never had either, but both my Sams club and Wallmart have packers, I saw a bunch today at Wallmart. Wallmart also has beef back ribs, which are some if my favorite.
  • IrishDevl
    Live weekend warrior, not live. Damn fat finger.
    edited March 2013
    Mrs. 500 is concerned about eating bad. I said how can a boiled meal be bad. She said corned beef is fatty. So the Irish girl may not even have corned beef for St. Patty's day. I guess we could have just the cabbage carrots and potatoes. Not the same. I'm not going to push her into eating something she'll regret. She's on this weight watchers kick. So I need to get an answer out of her on this cause it takes 4 or 5 days for the cure. I want to see how your turn out @IrishDevl. I can live through you at least.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    So I made the corned beef brine tonight and the 18 lber is in it now. Also made the pastrami brine, a bit different with honey and dark brown sugar. I don't leave the pastrami brining as much. We shall see how it all turns out. Will let you know when finished.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm doing a hybrid corning right now.  Took a brisket, removed all visible fat, then added just enough #1 salt to cure it by weight.  Then covered it in coffee/chocolate rub.  Vacu-sucked it in a foodsaver expandable bag.  Sitting in the fridge for a day or two, then in the sous vide at 138 for 72 hours.  Should get nice and tender and look really red.  Then a sear at Salado.  It might suck, but I have enough food prepped that I can afford to take the risk with the experimental meat project.  SWMBO thinks I'm nuts.  I think she's right. ;)
    Umm I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...whats a deckle?  Is that like a dekfer?
    deckle more commonly known as the point.  point has more fat mixed into the muslce than the flat.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • IrishDevl
    tays44 said:
    Umm I know I'm going to regret asking this, but...whats a deckle?  Is that like a dekfer?
    deckle more commonly known as the point.  point has more fat mixed into the muslce than the flat.
    That is what I thought, but was told incorrect.
    SWMBO wants to do corned round. I think it'll not be right, but she wants what she wants. I support and say, whatever you want. I think I'll be pulling out the slicer for this one to try and get it tender with thin slices.
    Member since 2009
  • nolaegghead
    Corned round is the preferred cut in some parts of the world - like Australia and New Zealand.  Let us know how it turns out - I've never had it.
    So I am reading Charcuterie and for pastrami they have you cook to 150-155 on smoker and then oven cook for 2-3 hours. Anyone ever do this and what has been thought. Any other method?
  • IrishDevl

Corned round is the preferred cut in some parts of the world - like Australia and New Zealand.  Let us know how it turns out - I've never had it.

It's not to bad, I think it was a Nathan's brand cut. Just much leaner. Tastes pretty good.
  • nolaegghead
    Steam, my friend.  It's how the delis do it.   Smoke it like you state, then when you're ready to serve, steam it - you can hold it in a steam bath for a while, but you want to steam to at least 155 and higher is fine.

10-4. Looking forward to y'all's brisket and pastrami.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl

Steam, my friend.  It's how the delis do it.   Smoke it like you state, then when you're ready to serve, steam it - you can hold it in a steam bath for a while, but you want to steam to at least 155 and higher is fine.

Yes that is what they state to do after getting up to temp in egg. I will do as told my man. Thanks, you have me more confidence.
  • nolaegghead
    I had pretty good success with steam.  Turned the crock pot into a steamer (rig up some spacers on the bottom to keep the brisket out of the water). 

I'm doing some weird experimental brisket stuff right now with a short cure and long, low temp sous vide.  It'll either suck or I might just be on to something. 
    Good luck with it. I am sure it will be great.
    I know you're already in the cure time, but I found this Raichlen recipe.
    Member since 2009
  • IrishDevl
    It is a good l
  • IrishDevl
    it is a good looking recipe, not to far off the brine I used. Not sure with the crew that is coming over anything but boiled would work. The pastrami recipe will be smoked (for a decent portion anyway) so I will have some modified recipes.