Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Cooking Grate

I'm shopping for a cast iron grate, which do you recommend?

Comments

• I use the small BGE grate with the spider for my large. It works great for me. Pun intended.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Same as Hokie...I love mine...just don't leave it outdoors as it gets moldy...it is easy to clean though if it does....
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Add me to the CGS Spider and 13" CI grate club.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

i would do as everyoneelse has said. i have one for my large and it is well oiled and sitting in a box in my garage the same place it has been for the last 4 years. the one for the large is heavy and too hard to move around. so i put mine up. you  only need one if you eat with your eyes they are not to useful other than that....

just my $.02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Add me to Bowhunr's house the next time he does 2 inch Cowboy ribeyes.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Well here's my 2 cents. If you fill the fire box up with lump, there is no need to lower the CI grate. There standard size grate is larger@ 17" and you will be a few inches away from the coals. If that is not hot enough, well I don't know what to tell you. Either way the addition of the cast grates will be a big plus for your cooks.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited March 2013
    As @BENTE said, I haven't put mine completely up but it's on the bottom of the stack of grids I own and has been there for some time.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well here's my 2 cents. If you fill the fire box up with lump, there is no need to lower the CI grate. There standard size grate is larger@ 17" and you will be a few inches away from the coals. If that is not hot enough, well I don't know what to tell you. Either way the addition of the cast grates will be a big plus for your cooks.
    +1. If you want to cook "right on the coals" and have no way to go below the fire ring, fill the lump up to the top of the fire ring. You're going to use the same amount of lump for the cook whether you do this or only go to the fire box, maybe even more with the latter since you will need higher heat to get the same effect as being right next to the coals.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    I just use my Ceramic Grill Works Swing Grate at normal level. Its carbon steel that cooks like cast iron.
    Then I can move it to the top rack to cook away from the fire after searing.  
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I use a simple, inexpensive cast iron grate from Academy Sports. For some reason, it fits my large BGE, perfectly. It's not quite as heavy as the grates that came with my old CharBroil charcoal grill, but it does a great job.

Tim