Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shanks, fisrt time, need some ideas.

Options
Hello, We are grilling/smoking pork shanks tonight in the Egg. We got several individual size shanks, like resaurant size, for 8. Any suggestion on recipies and also time and temp ? Thanks Enrique

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'll only offer suggestions. I've had them a few times, but have not had a chance yet to cook any. The biggest one I've had was at a fairly high end restaurant. Was obviously braised, and finished w. a very nice mustard sauce. Almost fall apart. Had another smaller one at a place that does 'Q, but 'Q is not their specialty. Was rubbed and smoked and served w. a fairly thin sauce. The meat reminded me of smoked picnic, but was not quite shred tender. Also, there was a fair amount of softened, but not disintegrated connective tissue.

My guess is that they could be done standard low-slo. Dome 250F, raised, indirect, about 1.5 hour per pound. But, for company, and having not done any in advance, I think it would be better to give them an hour or so in smoke, till they reach 160F, then foil w. apple juice, or whatever liquid will go with the rest of the meal. Give them about another 30 min, and check to see if they are 190. If so, unfoil, and baste w. drippings.

Hope this helps. Hope someone w. experince cooking. this particular piece can offer more or better info.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    I havent cooked one but have had a few on trips to Germany (see picture) I would suggest looking through German recipes and adapting....usually referred to as pig knuckle....they seem to go with braising method as stated above
    Large BGE Middletown, MD