Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Reverse sear pork chops on the Mini

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
I found some nice boneless pork chops (about 1 1/4" thick and 1/2 lb+ each) that I seasoned with some Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy rub and cooked indirect on the Mini until they reached an internal temp around 115-118. I pulled them off the Mini for a few minutes while the Egg & CI got nice and hot: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then put them onto the CI for a sear: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pulled them at an IT of 145 and enjoyed after a few minutes rest: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Thx for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Those look great! I never was a big pork chop fan until I got the egg now I love them. Love the sear marks!  =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Those look amazing!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • WOW!  I should have my CI grid for my mini next week and I can't wait to follow your lead! 

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Wow, the things you do with those Eggs!

Kudos to the Chef.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,656
    Nice, the ci puts the nice touch on. Will try these.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,240
    Exactly why I am getting a mini. Thanks for posting and Bravo!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Solson005 said:
    Those look great! I never was a big pork chop fan until I got the egg now I love them. Love the sear marks!  =P~

Was it the same reason I never would eat them? Mom thought them done at 200 so she cooked them to 250.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    R2 you nailed those.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    Fantastic. Will pick some up this weekend. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Solson005 said:

Was it the same reason I never would eat them? Mom thought them done at 200 so she cooked them to 250.

Admittedly I over cooked pork chops for years until the USDA lowered the minimum recommended temp in 2011. Pork seems so much leaner now than 25-30 years ago so I always figured it was dry because so much fat had been bred out of the pigs. #-o
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,121
    Chubbs said:
    Exactly why I am getting a mini. Thanks for posting and Bravo!
    getting a mini or talking about getting a mini which one is it  ;))

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • WiltOnTiltWiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Those look incredible!
    ·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 259
    This I have to try!!  I usually use Dale's Steak Seasoning on my big chops.  Those look amazing. 
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Those are some of the best looking chops I've ever layed eyes on! @-)
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Very nice!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • BBQJDUBBBQJDUB Posts: 43
    Those things look amazing!  I have some chops tonight.  If there anywhere near that, I'll be happy!  
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,965
    Those are some good lookin chops. Makes me miss Iowa. I love the SM Sweet & Spicy on pork too!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 410

A perfectly cooked pork chop is tough to beat.  I've never considered a reverse sear, but after seeing this I definitely will.  Nice job!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    You have inspired me to do the same on my Mini. May use Raging River seasoning.  Wow, they look so good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • TixunauTixunau Posts: 71

wow. very nice!!

Good job!

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,557
    Fred is not gonna like this!  ...but the chops do look great! ;)

I say this is a valid necro bump, because @Chubbs now has a mini with which to sear some chops.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • finsterfinster Posts: 131
    Gotta try that reverse sear again.  Didn't give myself enough time last round and had to crank heat halfway through.  Chops look great.
    MBGE in Charleston

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    great looking chops. gives me motivation to try those.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,656
    Paging Fred..... In 3....2...1

Jk
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    I am with Mickey and Solson never a fan until I got an egg, no more dried out pork chops!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·