Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grate temp??

Options
trying to learn as much as I can while waiting for delivery.  I see people talk about dome temp and grate temp. Dome temp obviously comes from the built-in thermometer, but how do you determine grate temp?  Probe directly on the grate?  I have a remote thermometer with a single probe but I assumed that that would be used directly on the meat?

Thanks!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013
    Options

Many use temp monitors (e.g. Maverick) or pit controllers (e.g. DigiQ DX) which have a probe for the meat AND a probe that secures to the grid with a clip or something similar.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Thanks - also,  how important is it to know the grate temp?  Do most people just use some temp or is grate temp pretty critical? 
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Sorry,  meant DOME temp,  not "some" temp. Damn auto-correct! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Any temperature is a reference and as you note the dome thermo is the one thermo that comes with all BGE's so most people reference it (unless otherwise specified) in cooking recipes.  Now "what good is it"?  It's a reference (as long as it's calibrated) and given you cook to final temperature it lets you know the range you are cooking in and thus an approximation of time for the cook.  Basically you can acquire a whole lot of info about what is happening inside the BGE (or your oven for that matter) but unless you interpret it for value it is nothing more than data.  Many like the grate temp but if you are comforable with how your cooks work with the dome then go with it.  It's all a matter of preference-FWIW-and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's not necessary, but it is nice to know. The grate temp is usually around 40-50 degrees cooler on indirect cooks and will equalize on the backend of the cook. The rule of thumb is that temps posted in recipes are dome temps unless otherwise specified.