Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella on the LBGE!

2»

Comments

• Add to wishlist, - 1 Paella Pan

Very nice, elegant looking dish
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @Jscott it is well worth all the effort. 

@Chubbs please do its a fun cook. 

Thanks @Alton it is fun to do for a group of good friends and family.

@SmokinDAWG82 A paellera is a fairly inexpensive "Eggcessory" that makes for a great party! 

For everybody that wants to try making Paella the rice is the most important part, Arroz Bomba is said to be the best rice to use, but here in Oklahoma you can't find it or it is just too expensive for the rice portion of this dish. I used Arroz Sollana which is also highly recommended for paella, I found it in a Mediterranean Import and Deli and it was around $3. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @r27oba Give it a try sometime it is worth the effort and delicious! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • r270ba
    Anderson, SC

• Solson005
    I just posted about it in your last meal post but for anyone who is looking, I got mine at William Sonoma and it is the 13.5" I have seen videos with people using the 15" and the 18.5' one @r270ba just posted and would probably get a larger one if I had to do it over again. You cannot close the dome but I don't think that it is necessary, I did and melted my handles and can't tell if it helped the rice any or not. Most of the time Paella is made on a open flame so get the biggest one you want, unless you want to cook for two.. 
  • Solson005
    Dang-it!    Do you know how many things I've invented that already exist?  I could write a book about it.   Do'oh!   There's already a book about that too.

Oh well.   Anyway, seems like Nakedwhiz dropped the lid to get some smoke on the Paella at the end.    Also saw some other videos, etc where the lid got closed.

This one was my favorite:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kBmToj-t0
    @r270ba if you look at this video they use the biggest one possible and it looks pretty delicious! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

TNW site is mentioned above and here's a link to the paella cook recipe and more.  Scroll down to the bottom of the link and there are several good references including one about pans.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  Great cook-just make sure you have everything ready to go when you launch!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @r270ba I just saw you cook on a XL,  I think I would get the pan you posted a link for. 

I need to make this again! I might have to go search for some rice this weekend! 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Great dish I have only had this once.... really good. I would like to try but seems I'd have to go around and hunt down ingredients.
    Wife's co- worker throws a yearly paella cook and cooks for 50+ with huge pan, propane burner set up the works, it was amazing.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005
    @SkinnyV I have only seen those huge Paellera's on tv that would be something to experience! If you go this year get a picture, I would love to see it. 

Arroz Bomba is said to be the best rice to use, but I only found it at William Sonoma and it was around $20, for rice! I used Arroz Sollana which is also highly recommended for paella, I found it in a Mediterranean Import and Deli and it was around $3 they also have 00 flour for pizza and pasta, it sure beats paying for shipping on rice and flour. 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Very informative post, great pictures and nicely documented cook! I really don't know how I missed this the first time around. I've long wanted to attempt paella on my egg, but I've been scared because the recipes I've done have sometimes been a three or four pan cook. This is one of the reasons I kept my six burner gas grill around. I can get the paella pan and two frying pans on it, plus the sideburner for a fourth pan.

Your post got me to thinking, now that I have the second egg I can probably pull off a successful paella. The only issue I may have is my paella pan is a 16 inch stainless steel pan and I doubt very much it will fit with the lid closed. But traditionally paellas were cooked outside over an open flame anyway, I'll also be very interested to see what a paella tastes like with the addition of some smoke, something I never did on the gas grill. Thanks so much for sharing

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Will do, luckily had my 3 yr old fussin so we got to the front of the line. 50 people may be lowballin, everyone got to eat tons of food and she used top if the line ingredients.
    Real nice of her and she invites the hood and all, been going on for past 5+ years.
    Seattle, WA
  • Solson005 said:
    @SkinnyV I have only seen those huge Paellera's on tv that would be something to experience! If you go this year get a picture, I would love to see it. 

Arroz Bomba is said to be the best rice to use, but I only found it at William Sonoma and it was around $20, for rice! I used Arroz Sollana which is also highly recommended for paella, I found it in a Mediterranean Import and Deli and it was around $3 they also have 00 flour for pizza and pasta, it sure beats paying for shipping on rice and flour. 
    Bomba rice is the best to use, but definitely expensive.  Chef Jose Andres recommends it.  He also does not like the mixed paellas as much.  He believes that you should not mix seafood and meats, but choose one or the other.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Another above and beyond cook. Simply awesome

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• r270ba
    edited March 2013
    @solson005 do you know how they are sitting the paella pan in the egg?  Is it a woo or spider or something?  Are they just sitting it on the ears of the pan?
    Anderson, SC

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    r270ba said:
    @solson005 do you know how they are sitting the paella pan in the egg?  Is it a woo or spider or something?  Are they just sitting it on the ears of the pan?

I have set my 16" for the large at different times on the spider in the tall position and have also just used the grate on the fire ring.

• Solson005
    @jfm0830 Thank you, means a lot coming from someone who does a great job with pictures and descriptions! I think I did this just before you joined the forum last fall. I don't think there is any need to close the lid. I just made the saffron broth on the stove (and the clams because last time when I used the dutch oven table and built a fire not all of them opened.) and the rest in the paella pan, I do it similar to using a wok different ingredients in various stages and incorporate it all in the end. I actually have never made it without a fire and always had good results.

@SkinnyV sounds like a great time and nice work on getting to the front of the line! 

@NEWB_IN_NOLA I will try Bomba rice some day, but getting seafood in Oklahoma is expensive enough so I can't justify it for rice. I know 00 flour is so much better for pizza and pasta and I want  to try it. I think I'll ask one of the guests to buy it for me and then I can make it and not have the cost! 
    *-:)

@six_egg Thanks I like the creative cooks on the egg, I also do boneless skinless chicken breasts and have great results but haven't made a post, yet.. Photobucket was already trying to make me go pro after all the pics in my Tacos al pastor post. So I just spend time on the creative ones. 

@r270ba I used firebricks and the grate but can try my spider and take a picture if you want, I know its a smaller egg but you can get the picture. A woo would work but I only have that for my small egg. I would want it raised in some fashion so you can put distance between the fire and the bottom of the pan so the rice doesn't burn. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    r270ba said:

It is recommended to get that pan on a raised grid somehow. I use the BGE extra tier for my XL:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Any solution to raise it is good as Solson005 pointed out.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA