Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini table ideas?

I'm really looking at getting a mini, probably would have today, but timing with a Dr. appointment for the 7 year old didn't work out after work. Anybody have a decent ready to purchase table idea?  I'd like for the mini to be on my back deck which is older and I have a 5 year old basset hound that roams the back yard.  Unfortunately had to put my Lab down about a month ago. The dogs and age of the deck are the reasons that I haven't put the Large on the deck. Instead it resides in a nest and is rolled into the driveway for cooking. I really think I'm being overly paranoid about the deck, there is one board that doesn't look great but the rest of it is fine and I redid the stairs and supports last spring. Just looking for something the hound won't knock over if she gets curious while the mini is sitting out on the deck.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Sounds like you need a deck!!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @MrCookingNurse the deck was supposed to be this summer's project unfortunately had to replace the furnace.  That's what you get for buying a 25 year old house I guess.  Like I said above I think I'm being overly paranoid about the deck and have redone most of it. Just still don't want the Large sitting out there if there's a gathering at the house.  Kind of like if you go into a elevator and see it has a 1800 pound limit and the five people in the elevator with you haven't seen their own feet in 10 years. Just something I'm being weird about I guess.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    This is where I would be putting it whether it is a mini or a small in a nest.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    I think I paid $100 at SAMs for this SS table and it works for me in all kinds of ways. I can also set it on the table between the Larges if I need the full SS to work with. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Suggestion if you are doing rolling to driveway is to get a Handler. So much safer to roll with. Man so sorry about the Lab. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scottborasjr
    Thanks Mickey I appreciate it about my dog. Best friend for thirteen years almost. And u do have a handler on my large not on the medium though
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    Sorry about your lab. They're great dogs.

Most of the time I use a SS table similar to Mickeys or I use the metal table area of the cart that my Large sits in. I've seen folks use small rolling carts like this one that loco_engr has:http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1087799/#Comment_1087799

I think having something stable yet portable for travel would be nice as cooking on the Mini it sits on the ground is kind of tough on the knees and/or back.

I like the concept of something like this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/711823
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Scottborasjr
    Thanks @R2Egg2Q appreciate the kind words. That box for the mini is awesome I remember seeing it years ago but had forgotten about it.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    When traveling with my small egg I use a couple of different things I have a eggCarten which they also make for the mini I have a teak shower stool that I used when I broke my ankle and just set it on that. But for a more stable option I use a Dutch Oven Table I have a stainless cart that looks like that but I got it at Sams Club. @RAC has this table and its is on my list to get Lifetime Tailgate Table which can also be found at Sams. Or you could get a cedar or another wood table that can withstand the elements outside. I built this cart to hold all my egg stuff and puts wheels on it to roll it out when I need more space for big cooks, it lives against the house most of the time. I just resealed it yesterday and is looking great after a couple years outside. 

Sorry about your dog, losing a buddy is never easy. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Thanks @Solson005. That's a good looking homemade cart you have there. Doesn't look weathered at all, I know you said you just refinished it but still looks awesome.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use a wrought iron plant stand that was made by an iron worker friend of the family.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    How about an egg carten. Sorry about the dog bud.

XLBGE 
  • Solson005
    Sure happy to help. 

Actually that was the before shot. Here is a shot at the end of the day after I did everything and added some spar varnish to the Philippine Mahogany Koi. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Scottborasjr
    @BOWHUNR, if it wasn't for the dog and the wind on the Nebraska plains that would be awesome.

@MrCookingNurse probably going to get a egg carton for sure if I decide to get small or mini just looking for a stand to set it on. Thanks for the condolences.

@Solson005 you want to come fix my backyard up for me? That looks amazing. =P~
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    @BOWHUNR I like that it looks like a piece of furniture. 

I highly recommend the eggCarten it makes traveling my small stress free. 

My dad is a engineer who loves woodworking and cooking so I'm extremely lucky. All the jobs helping him on projects during the summers growing up are paying off nicely. That could be fun fixing up fellow eggers places and having some great food and the end of the work days.. The only thing we didn't do ourselves was the flagstone patio. (the Koi was a present from a failed Asian Restaurant) We could have, but they got it done in a couple days and it would have taken us a good part of the summer working on nights and weekends. 
    I don't know if it was the fumes from the sealer but I had a great day yesterday with some tunes and sprucing up the egg area. I didn't know how much I was going to more the large around so I didn't have something cooking all day. But I did fire up the small and have a tri-tip to reward the end of a great day! 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    This is what I'll be using after Salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    @Solson005 love your cooking area, pretty cool brother. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Sgt93 things are nice on the forum now, just cooking not going into random stupid stuff like it was a few months ago. I hope its getting close to get the temps up so your grilling season can start. 
  • mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    Sorry to hear about your dog ! Our eldest dachshund just had a hernia operation. 

EggCarten sound great indeed, unfortunately we don't have it in the Netherlands. I place the mini on a small teak table which is fine.
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited March 2013
    Maybe you could build a simple docking station that would be attached to the existing railings to secure the egg + nest from ever falling.
    Gittin' there...
  • Solson005
    edited March 2013
    I like @Lit 's table that uses the eggCarten for the mini New egg toy 

Oh also I don't use the egg feet on my small with the eggCarten and put it on a teak table like @mhoutman does and haven't had any issues with the wood heating up. Just FYI
  • Mickey
    One of the Mini's we give away at Salado Sat after next will be in an eggCarten.

• Scottborasjr
    @mhoutman hope for a speedy recovery for your dog.

@Solson005 Yeah I like what @Lit did with that table that's nice.

@Mickey is there anything that isn't possible in the wonderful world of Salado?

• BOWHUNR
    edited March 2013
    @BOWHUNR, if it wasn't for the dog and the wind on the Nebraska plains that would be awesome.
    Mine's on a deck in Nebraska, does that count? :D It's actually very stable and has been outside for thunder storms etc, 24/7/365.  I don't have any dogs, but it would take a big one to tip it over.

@Solson005 Thanks.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Scottborasjr
    @BOWHUNR wow It looks like it would be top heavy as tall as it is,  that's a really impressive piece of work there.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited March 2013

BOWHUNR said:
    I use a wrought iron plant stand that was made by an iron worker friend of the family.

Mike

@BOWHUNR, this is awesome man. Well played!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BOWHUNR
    @BOWHUNR wow It looks like it would be top heavy as tall as it is,  that's a really impressive piece of work there.
    I agree it does look that way, but I wouldn't have the little guy on there if I thought it would get tipped over.  That would be an expensive fix and it would break my heart!  We did have one tornado warning last summer that I sat it down on the deck.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    @Chubbs Why thank-you sir.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Mickey said:
    One of the Mini's we give away at Salado Sat after next will be in an eggCarten.
    I have decided I will go ahead and win this one. Should I, to save time, just go ahead and load it in my car when I get there on Friday?   :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    @BOWHUNR glad to see your posts once more. @scottborasjr see you are thinking about a Mini. Come to Salado and get one of the 4 passed out this year. That will make 10 given away in the past 3 years. @Springram Where are you staying? We will be at the Inn setting up for Friday and should have 4 Larges ready to use.