Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help planning a grilling fest

Hello all.  I am entering into my second year as a BGE dealer in mid-michigan.  This June I am partnering with my local farmers market to put on a grilling type festival.  I am not sure on the details whether it will be a cook-off, teams, BGE vs gassers, etc. Also not sure if we are going to sell tickets to sample the food, enter the drawing, or if everything is going to be free.  There are not alot of BGE's in my area so I dont think it will be an eggfest but i knowit will be fun.  I am trying to talk fred19flintsone into joining as he is in the next town over from me.  I would love to get as many eggers there if possible (if I knew more in michigan).  I would love to hear some helpful hints that you have or knowledge from your eggfest travels so I can pull off a great event.  thank you in advance!!!!! 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You might draw some Canadians if you do an eggfest. Just a thought.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    OE,keep us posted on a date. Working with the guy here in BC to get something going too.I keep putting a bug in his ear.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Ok @Owossoegger I'm all in. As I said in my PM, I've never cooked for anybody except family & friends. You said its June 15th so I got it on my calendar. I have a large, a small & a mini. Moving the large is a big deal because it's in a table, but can be done if needed. Kevin, let me know what I can do.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

You might draw some Canadians if you do an eggfest. Just a thought.

Yeah...but then there would be Canadians there....lol. Sorry, I'll buy you a beverage in Salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Where at in Michigan I am in southern Indiana. I would try to make it if I could. Is June 15th your planned date?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Please be sure and talk with your Egg distributor. They are good for lots of help. All kinds of give-aways and setups, and the blowup Egg to mark you.

I will give away 4 Mini's next week at Salado EggFest and we do not charge anyone for anything at Salado. It is all free to cooks and tasters.

Call me if I can answer any questions.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• If we're going to do a Eggs vs gassers thing, we will need gassers and of course people willing to work with such heinous equipment.  Maybe instead a demo might work.  One thing that people get eggcited about is pizza.  At any farmers market there are plenty of people milling about and that might suggest a pizza by the slice kind of thing or personal size.  The dough will have to be ready to hit the Egg and keep rolling them out.  Anyone interested in a custom pizza will have to wait and get pitched.  That's something that can drum up sales and make new customers.  Just a thought. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    @Fred19Flintstone I have went to flour tortillas for Egg pizza. Makes outstanding thin crust pizza. You can get several sizes. Grand kids love the smaller ones as they make their own.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi @Mickey - I thought about tortillas, but I thought dough would be more impressive for "prospective buyers". The logistics of using dough are not attractive so your suggestion may be the better way. Then again, its not my party so I'll see what @Owossoegger has in mind. He may not want to do pizza. Thanks Mickey!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    @Fred19Flintstone If you do tortillas I did this last year at Salado. Crowd pleaser. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• henapple
    Maybe instead of BGE vs gassers just a cook off. While they're opening and closing the grill you can spend time getting to know customers and explaining the benefits of the egg. I think spatchcock chicken pulled...maybe made into chicken salad promotes the ease and taste.
  • Mickey
    I agree with @henapple. Keep it light and not compeat, show the Egg...

• henapple
    And don't forget to have plenty of mangrates and eggbarrows.
  • I've never cooked competetively. I was concerned that if I screwed up, I could hurt instead of help @Owossoegger 's business. EggFest attendees are familiar with the Egg for the most part. At a farmer's market, I suspect there will be a good amount of people who see the Egg and ask what it is. I like your ideas. Thanks @Mickey & @henapple for sharing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I don't have a way of moving my XL, but I am willing to cook. What is the name of your business? I may be picking up another egg this year.

• henapple
    A great option is every time someone says "green egg" you both have to take a shot.
  • Maurer Heating & Cooling in Owosso. Talk to Kevin Maurer. He's a good guy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Fred Flintstone, Yep X 4 on the flour tortillas for the Grands. Cookng at an eggfest is a snap. If I can do it anybody can. Besides tortillas you can use store bought Naan for pizzas. I did tri tip, goat cheese, purple onion and pistachios and it was a hit. Also did cinnamon bun pancakes with a maple cream sauce and a praline pecan sauce. Just cook what you love and enjoy the ride.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hello all.  Thanks for the great ideas.  I've got my BGE rep to come up with some great swag.  I think we are raffleing off an egg, i have that huge blow up mr egghead there too.  I am hoping to have all cooking stations be big green eggs with different food such as apps at 1 station, pizza at another, etc etc.  im tying it in with our local farmers market as they typically get 800-1000 people dopwn there.  its definately not a competition but more of a "this is what the egg can do" type of thing.  We are hopiing to have a band or solo singer there as well.  Anyone else in michigan want to cook with me???  Keep throwin me ideas.  its gunna be fun
  • henapple
    Date and city? I'll be in Michigan in June. Thanks.
  • Mickey
    Owossoegger  One thing I learned from my first Fest. Do not get the music to loud. People like to talk and hear each other more than music.

• henapple said:

Date and city? I'll be in Michigan in June. Thanks.

@henapple - June 15th in Owosso. I hope you can fit it into your itinerary. I'd love to meet you in person!
    Flint, Michigan
  • June 15th, 2013.  tentative time is 9am start.  that may change.    @ Mickey, thats a good one- im not a fan of super loud music when trying to talk.  I know it may be tough for some to bring their eggs.  I am trying to see what I can do to bring some in from BGE.  I have my own large and my shops large, but might need a few more.  It is downtown Owosso (away from my office location)- hold out your right hand, look at your palm, we are about 1.5 inches to the leftof the base of your thumb and about 1.5 inches up from your wrist.  I will fill you all as we get the details ironed out.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I'm with Mickey on the overly loud music. I was down at JJ's Backyard in Broadripple,IN last spring and you just couldn't talk or hear. Otherwise it was a good time and great food.

I'll be down from Bay City.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI