Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork chops

Options
Looking for a good recipe and good way to cook chops. 

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Chris I am in the process of cooking pork chops for tonight. I am borrowing a recipe from Griffin's Grub called "third eye express" It calls for a brine and explains the cooking process in detail. I have used Griffin's recipes before with huge sucess. Look on his web page for this and give it a try. Good Luck, Gary
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    what i do when i want to grill pork chops is walk right past them in the supermarket and pick up the centercut lamb chops, they egg like candy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Was it Griff's recipe with the brine(brown sugar,salt,and rub) for pork chops??  I used it two weeks ago --  and i could not tell how big of a difference this made pork chops.  I took the brine recipe and wrote it with a majic marker on the cover of my recipe book.  Brined for six hours, chops were full of moisture and rich tasting -- cooked at gasket level direct to 135 degrees internal -- as good eatin as a steak !!
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Thanks I will try the brine, first I have to get them thawed, like a freaking rock right now.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    In general you'll find two kinds of chops at a supermarket, although I feel like a lot of places sell "Center Cut Pork Chops" no matter what you pick up.

Typically there are Center Cut Loin Chops and Center Cut Rib Chops. The Loin Chop is on a T shaped half a vertebrae and "should" have a piece of loin and the darker tenderloin.  Some brands will hide a missing or small tenderloin behind a big sticker so be careful.  Rib Chops are on the rib (who knew...) and contain only loin and sometimes other small muscles.

For my money, especially when they often charge the same price - I'll take the loin chops every time. I like the porterhouse feel of it.

On either end of the center cuts can be blade chops and sirloin chops but they are typically packaged as country ribs and sirloin roasts respectively.

Brining is a good for loin chops and i think a must for rib chops. 3 hours is sufficient on a 1 inch chop.  I cook to 140 and let them rest to 145.  If you are saucing .. i'd say sear them first then sauce.
  • chris123stock
    Options
    TonyA said:
    In general you'll find two kinds of chops at a supermarket, although I feel like a lot of places sell "Center Cut Pork Chops" no matter what you pick up.

Typically there are Center Cut Loin Chops and Center Cut Rib Chops. The Loin Chop is on a T shaped half a vertebrae and "should" have a piece of loin and the darker tenderloin.  Some brands will hide a missing or small tenderloin behind a big sticker so be careful.  Rib Chops are on the rib (who knew...) and contain only loin and sometimes other small muscles.

For my money, especially when they often charge the same price - I'll take the loin chops every time. I like the porterhouse feel of it.

On either end of the center cuts can be blade chops and sirloin chops but they are typically packaged as country ribs and sirloin roasts respectively.

Brining is a good for loin chops and i think a must for rib chops. 3 hours is sufficient on a 1 inch chop.  I cook to 140 and let them rest to 145.  If you are saucing .. i'd say sear them first then sauce.
    Sounds like a brine is the key. Thank you
  • Charlie tuna
    Options

This was the brine recipe i got off the forum:

1/4 cup of salt

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of dry rub

1   quart of water

I brined some loin chops about an inch thick for six hours.  Rinsed them off an seasoned with course sea salt and course ground fresh black pepper.

Went out the next day and bought more, thats how much i liked them !!!

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Charlie I don't have everything here with me but the brine goes like ... 2 tbsp kosher salt, 3 tbsp sugar, 20 whole black peppercorns, 2 tsp rub, 2tsp crab boil, 1qt water. Add all ingred. bring to boil, let simmer 5 min., brine for 3-4 hrs, rinse, pat dry, add rub,sear, etc. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    piney said:
    Charlie I don't have everything here with me but the brine goes like ... 2 tbsp kosher salt, 3 tbsp sugar, 20 whole black peppercorns, 2 tsp rub, 2tsp crab boil, 1qt water. Add all ingred. bring to boil, let simmer 5 min., brine for 3-4 hrs, rinse, pat dry, add rub,sear, etc. 
    OK, then we are talking about a difference brine.  This was the one i used, and i'm telling you i have cooked a many pork chops, but this really made a difference.  I am bookmaking this recipe you posted and i will try it!!  Thanks for posting it !!!