Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter for the Mini?!?

Has anyone seen/used this platesetter for the mini? Just wondering if it is legit? http://www.countrystoveandpatio.com/shop/big-green-egg-mini-egg-plate-setter/ Weighing the small vs mini addition to the family, and if the mini had platesetter, that changes things a bit in my mind. Thanks.
Atlanta suburbs
Large & Mini owner
UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!

Comments

• AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    My family runs a store that sells Eggs and we just did an order 2 weeks ago and I didn't see a mini plate setter. I assume it is an after market one but I'm sure someone here has used one? I have a mini personally and would love them to come out with more accessories!!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I it must be newish cause I've never seen it on here

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That's a new one on me but not saying it isn't legit. I know everyone that I have talked to that has a mini uses a 8 inch ceramic stone purchased from amazon with a setup from Ceramic Grill Store.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

That's a new one on me but not saying it isn't legit. I know everyone that I have talked to that has a mini uses a 8 inch ceramic stone purchased from amazon with a setup from Ceramic Grill Store.

Word.

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Word Up
    =))
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    IMO a much better buy is the stones from Amazon and the "Mini Woo" from Ceramic Grill Srore as said earlier. Then you have the platform to add a Lodge griddle from Mission Supply and a 10 Wok from the Wok Shop. Just many more ways to go. I wish I had never bought the platesetter for my Large many years ago. Just other options.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    The plate setter for the mini is a new item, but, doesn't show on the BGE web site yet. It's real!!
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Mickey.....is it the 9 1/4 inch griddle?  This one: http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html

And are you saying a 10 inch wok?  heck I figured a little larger wok would work.

• Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Mickey.....is it the 9 1/4 inch griddle?  This one: http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html

And are you saying a 10 inch wok?  heck I figured a little larger wok would work.

Correct on both. 10" is fine. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    @mickey how you ever done a small butt on the mini? What size butt could one fit on the mini...my guess would be 3-4 lbs?
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Mickey
    edited March 2013
    Crispix49.......... I have not but several have. And you are right on the size. I do single spatchcocked chickens all the time. If you want to see I can post the movies with those and others that Spring Chicken has taken from the forums and put togather.

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    @mickey ok, thanks. I've seen those videos before...I'll revisit them again.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2013
    This was a 5 lb butt but it was like the perfect shape & barely fit.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Someone (can't remember who) squeezed a 6 lb butt in but I think they said it was touching parts of the inside of the dome.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The mini plate setter will be available in 4-6 weeks according to the retail store.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Still think the mini woo plus stone is a better option. My raised direct setup on the large -- bricks -- wouldn't work on the mini, the mini woo is perfect.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I love the woo / stone combo for my small egg. I actually have never cooked without my woo. I even bought it before I bought my small egg so I was ready when I did pickup the egg. 

Big Green Egg has probably seen those movies @Spring_Chicken made and posts from @R2Egg2Q @Mickey and the rest of the mini eggers and realized the mini was more useful than just a ultra portable egg to do direct cooking on. So they came up with a platesetter. 

I wish I knew about the mini egg while I was traveling for work a couple years ago, 310 days a year on the road could have been much better with the mini and I could have just left it in my trunk during the day. Even if I had to run to the butcher every day due to lack of fridge space in some of the hotels. 

I love seeing all the creative posts stuffing those little guys with food. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.