Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good cookbook

Hey fellow Eggheads:
So I bought my first BGE (medium size) this weekend. It's actually my first grill ever, I live in Brooklyn, NY so until recently I havent had a chance to get a grill. I chose the GE for its versatility and the rave reviews from it's owners. So far I've only made chicken, but it was awesome.
Anyhow, I am looking for a good all around grilling/smoking/outdoor cooking cookbook! I know that this forum has hundreds of amazing recipes, but I want a bound book with an index, pictures etc. So I am looking for suggestions. I want a comprehensive book with great recipes that people have used and swear by. It certainly doesnt have to be BGE specific, I can use my BGE to do just about anything anyhow right?
Anyhow, any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You found the best cook book when you found this forum.  Most cook books don't relate to cooking things on an egg.  Look to the right of these posts and find "Cookbook" and all the listed things below --  these are Green Egg approved!! ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013

Just one persons opion. Save your money to spend on Egg stuff. Look on this forum and the other Egg forum. You will find more than you could cook in the next 10 years. It is all there and set up for the Egg.

Say you thought of something not on there (both forums) just post and you will have 5 replys in an hour for ?????????? with bacon on it..........

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I agree.  This forum plus other food blogs and you really do not need a cook book.  If you have a question ask...everyone loves to help out with ideas and how to's.  I actually have a dedicated iPad for my cooking to use as my 'cookbook'.  I read the forums and food blogs with it :).
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Agree with Tuna and Mickey.  Just look at the posts here within the last week and you'll have enough ideas to last you a few weeks.  I've bookmarked cooks over a month ago that I still have yet to try.  Which reminds me, gotta try smoked mac and cheese.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Please take this advice at face value... If you want 'one' book that will bind together your outdoor cooking experience then any 'one' book will do.

From the big books by Raichlen to Flay or Myron Mixon - they all have their own signature. Don't get me wrong, if you learn your equipment and how to buy quality ingredients you can be Bobby Jr. and wow your friends every time.  However, when you start cooking for yourself,  when your friends say wow and your heart says 'meh?' ,  you'll quickly exceed the limitations of that book and your whole point of having just the one.

Start with a good book on process or ask a lot of questions on here.  The best cooks on here post new ideas .. successes and failures.  

Keep track of what processes and recipes work for you. Keep them in a binder. Tweak them.  When you have a base of recipes you just can't do without .. take some photos of your own and have those recipes and processes bound.  When  you are too arthritic to cook yourself, you can pass it on to someone who's taken interest in your particular brand of barbecue.
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    I'm personally addicted to cook books, so I would have to disagree with all the above posters! See if you can find a copy of 'Serious Barbecue' for list price ($35). I found one last week at my Barnes & Noble. Its a very sought after book....selling for almost $200 on Amazon. I also recently picked up Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @mteele, this was at you local B&N? Or did they order it for you?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My Barnes and noble didn't stock it but would order it. They did have some other of his books. I got 20 but I am cheap so I checked it out at the book store then ordered off amazon.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Another vote for Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue.  I've got quite a few books, but this is my "go to" book.  Usually pretty good pricing if you look around.  Online has tons of great ideas and techniques, but while initially learning I really liked to have a book in hand, and still do. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The only book I would buy, other than special interest, is The New Professional Chef by the Culinary Institute of America

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    cooks illustrated, not just bbq, but can be adapted for egg.
  • I know this is a BGE forum but one of the best cookbooks I have is Weber's Way to Grill. It is full of great recipes for many different meats, vegetables, sides and desserts. I bought it when I first starting on this "cooking with fire" journey. The pictures are excellent and really help show the techniques behind preparing the dish. Highly recommended!
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I also love cook books and have many. One of my favorites for barbecue is Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible. It does not specifically apply to BGE cooking, but it has a wealth of methods, tips, and recipes for BBQ'ing in general. Many of them are exceptionally tasty. I also have his book on BBQ sauces, rubs, and mops.

Tim
  • mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    @mteele, this was at you local B&N? Or did they order it for you?
    It was actually semi-local. I did a zip code search for my area and they were all out of stock. But then I did my parents zip code and found one a mile from their house :) I tried to buy 2, but they only had one left.