Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rubs?

I love my DP but I want to try some different flavor profiles on my baby backs. I'm curious as to what kind of rubs some of you use? I have some John Henry's pecan rub that I was thinking of trying and some Tex BBQ original. Any other ideas? What abouot basic stuff like kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt, etc?? I love smoked paprika but dont know how to incorporate it into a rub.

Comments

• I have never tried DP anything. I really need to go find some. I use the fiesta seasonings from Academy Sports. It's pretty good.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • I like sweet ribs, I mix about 1/4 cup of rub with 1/2 cup brown sugar and rub it on and let em sit overnite. I like Dizzy pig but also use Mike Mills Magic Dust. They really don't need sauce but I usually serve it on the side.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Those fiesta rubs are great. The Uncle Chris's steak seasoning is some of the best I have ever tried.

• Plano_JJ
    I like sweet ribs, I mix about 1/4 cup of rub with 1/2 cup brown sugar and rub it on and let em sit overnite. I like Dizzy pig but also use Mike Mills Magic Dust. They really don't need sauce but I usually serve it on the side.
    That is kind of what I am wanting to try. I like my ribs dry without the sauce.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I shoot for multiple layer of flavor on my ribs. I start with a rub that has a little kick to it. Dizzy Pig rubs usually. Last time I used a new rub called Hog Dust. It was great. I cook them 4 hours with rub only then sauce them with Bone Suckung Sauce. This is kind of a sweet overlay on top of some heat. I usually get a lot of praise with these.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I bought several of John Henry's. I liked all of them pretty much. The pecan was good, but I didn't think outstanding. If I remember correctly, his Honey Rib Rub was a very nice basic rub. Sweetish, and reminded me a lot of what some BBQ flavored potato chips taste like. They tend to have a little more salt than I like.

I really like Chicago's Spice House brand Bronzeville rib rub. Probably my second favorite for ribs.

When I think I have a particularly nice rack of ribs, I always do a portion w. just salt, pepper, and some turbinado sugar. Well smoked pork ribs are just fine w. just those.

If you are smoking your ribs, no reason to add smoked paprika, or any of the blends now out there with smoke flavor in them.

I've tried making my own rub. The hardest part is finding really fresh spices. After reading lots of recipes, I found that most rubs have 4 ingredients as their base: Brown sugar, paprika, black pepper and salt. Cayenne, mustard, cumin, onion and garlic powders are found almost as often, but not in as great a quantity. Beyond that, there are any number of things in smaller quantities. Coffee. Cocoa. Coriander. Almost anything one might find in a spice cabinet. Depends on what you like, and what is being served w. the ribs.

I am also in the "dry" rib camp. While I serve w. several bowls of different  warm sauces on the side, just in case the ribs are cooling off to much, I find most of the flavors I want can be built into the rub crust.

Try 1 or 2 additional dustings of rub late in the cook. Brush on just a little water or oil to help melt the added rub. Some things change or loose flavor w. cooking, and a late addition will add another kind of some flavors, and boost others.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Three I recieved as stocking stuffers were Penzey's Galena Street, Oakridge Secret Weapon and Plowboys Yardbird.  All produced great rib results.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I really like Oak Ridge BBQ rubs.  Their "Secret Weapon" is great on ribs.  

Check out the sampler pack. It's a no-brainer for $4.95 shipped ;).  They give you a decent amount of each rub in the sampler. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Just got Jacks old south for B-day tried the hickory and qubba dub rib now will be my go to rubs for ribs gotta watch them though as I thought they got dark quick compared to what I used to use but the flavor was right on for me. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Bad Byron's, Yardbird, Butcher all purpose are great on ribs. Also, Lambert's sweet rub o mine and butchers honey rub are nice, and less aggressive. There is a wide selection of John Henry Products all of which are also good.
  • www.redneckcooker.com Redneck Rib Dust is my hands down favorite. Disclaimer....I ordered DP SV & DP DD and didn't care for either. I know most on this forum love DP rubs...so maybe my tastes are different.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Plano_JJ
    Wow, Im gonna be busy. Great info. Thanks. I am going to do a test run Sunday with different rubs on half racks, kind like Bubba Tim had on his website. I will post results. Thanks again!
  • Plano_JJ
    gdenby said:
    I bought several of John Henry's. I liked all of them pretty much. The pecan was good, but I didn't think outstanding. If I remember correctly, his Honey Rib Rub was a very nice basic rub. Sweetish, and reminded me a lot of what some BBQ flavored potato chips taste like. They tend to have a little more salt than I like.

I really like Chicago's Spice House brand Bronzeville rib rub. Probably my second favorite for ribs.

When I think I have a particularly nice rack of ribs, I always do a portion w. just salt, pepper, and some turbinado sugar. Well smoked pork ribs are just fine w. just those.

If you are smoking your ribs, no reason to add smoked paprika, or any of the blends now out there with smoke flavor in them.

I've tried making my own rub. The hardest part is finding really fresh spices. After reading lots of recipes, I found that most rubs have 4 ingredients as their base: Brown sugar, paprika, black pepper and salt. Cayenne, mustard, cumin, onion and garlic powders are found almost as often, but not in as great a quantity. Beyond that, there are any number of things in smaller quantities. Coffee. Cocoa. Coriander. Almost anything one might find in a spice cabinet. Depends on what you like, and what is being served w. the ribs.

I am also in the "dry" rib camp. While I serve w. several bowls of different  warm sauces on the side, just in case the ribs are cooling off to much, I find most of the flavors I want can be built into the rub crust.

Try 1 or 2 additional dustings of rub late in the cook. Brush on just a little water or oil to help melt the added rub. Some things change or loose flavor w. cooking, and a late addition will add another kind of some flavors, and boost others.

I think I will do one with salt and pepper and the sugar and see how that turns out.
  • Plano_JJ

Check out the sampler pack. It's a no-brainer for $4.95 shipped ;).  They give you a decent amount of each rub in the sampler. 
    Definitely going to try a sampler pack. Your right, cant go wrong like that. I did it with DP and found I didnt like a couple before I went and bought a whole shaker. Probably saved me 30 bucks.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Plano_JJ said:
    I think I will do one with salt and pepper and the sugar and see how that turns out.
    I like making one slab with sauce and one w/o.  I was a little disappointed the time I tried just salt & pepper.  There are are slabs where I cut back the amount used and enjoy them just fine.  I use a cajun rub that includes Cayenne and another half dozen items similar to what gdenby described.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you 2-1-1 your ribs try basting with honey in the foil stage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    setdahook said:
    Just got Jacks old south for B-day tried the hickory and qubba dub rib now will be my go to rubs for ribs gotta watch them though as I thought they got dark quick compared to what I used to use but the flavor was right on for me. 

Jacks is awesome. I get locally in the Mothership. Great flavor. I also use it on my butts, creates a great tasting bark
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Plano_JJ said:
    I love my DP but I want to try some different flavor profiles on my baby backs. I'm curious as to what kind of rubs some of you use? I have some John Henry's pecan rub that I was thinking of trying and some Tex BBQ original. Any other ideas? What abouot basic stuff like kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt, etc?? I love smoked paprika but dont know how to incorporate it into a rub.
    About any rub that is sold nationwide will be very good, however it is all about what you like or your family likes.  I use DP original and Mike Mills 17th Street Bar Magic Dust.  That is why they make chocolate and vanilla!!! :\">
  • I really like Oak Ridge BBQ rubs.  Their "Secret Weapon" is great on ribs.  

Oakridge is VERY good stuff on ribs, so is Dizzy Pig.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I've had great success with Adam's Rib Rub.  It's made in NC and my local Fresh Market in VA stocks it.
  • Plano_JJ
    I ordered the the Oak Ridge sample pack.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ragtop99 said:
    Plano_JJ said:
    I like making one slab with sauce and one w/o.  I was a little disappointed the time I tried just salt & pepper.  There are are slabs where I cut back the amount used and enjoy them just fine.  I use a cajun rub that includes Cayenne and another half dozen items similar to what gdenby described.
    Every now and then I splurge on pasture raised pork. Whenever I get that, I do some w. just the salt, pepper, sugar rub, so I can enjoy the pork flavor. Otherwise, I use that simple mix on a couple of ribs to serve as a base sample to compare with something new I'm trying.
  • Plano_JJ

Received this yesterday. It all smells awesome. Nice quantity for 5 bucks.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    If you're ever looking for a tasty dry rib. Check out the Memphis Style rub from amazingribs.com. So good low and slow, no foil.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario