Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Citrus Salsa Verde Cedar Planked Salmon (Pics)

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
SWMBO wanted fish, so I prepared Citrus Salsa Verde Salmon tonight. Had some cedar planks so planked the salmon. The salsa verde has become a favorite in our household. So easy to make and good on a lot of dishes. Plated with whole wheat couscous and green beans. This was the best salmon I have had. Cooked raised direct at 450* until IT temp was 140. Took ~25 minutes. Brushed the salmon with agave nectar and gave a generous dusting of salt and pepper before the egg. Let the plank sit on the egg for 5 minutes before throwing on the salmon to get it smoking nicely. Hard to beat the smell of a smoking cedar plank. Sorry for bad plated pic. The yellow plate and poor lighting got me.....
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Your cooks are always inspiring. That salsa verde sounds tasty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    =D> Looks outstanding!! I would love more details on that salsa verde if you don't mind sharing? Looks like it has capers in it... I love me some capers. I am a big fan of Steven Raichlen's Salsa Verde...would love to give your recipe a go.
  • Chubbs
    edited March 2013
    Options

Sure Dyal. Cant remember where I got this one--- we have been using if for a few years.

It has orange zest, lemon zest, 2 oranges trimmed (no white) and sliced, 2 scallions chopped, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 3 Tbs chopped fresh mint, 2 Tbs capers rinsed/drained/chopped, juice from 1 lemon, crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, toss everything then salt and pepper to taste.

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    That looks awesome. Love cedar planked salmon. Agree...the smell of the cedar plank is greatness.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    Looks really good Chubs. Cedar planking is my favorite way to cook salmon as I posted yesterday. Love your raised direct method. The planks have been just a bit too close to the fire when I've done it at the regular direct level. Will definitely use your method next time. Am I seeing that you are simply using three bricks to raise the cooking grid?
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    jfarley said:
    Looks really good Chubs. Cedar planking is my favorite way to cook salmon as I posted yesterday. Love your raised direct method. The planks have been just a bit too close to the fire when I've done it at the regular direct level. Will definitely use your method next time. Am I seeing that you are simply using three bricks to raise the cooking grid?
    Yep, good eye. Took a regular clay brick and a hammer and chisel to make 3 fairly equal pieces. Stand them up on the firering. Brings the grate right to the felt line. Cheap solution. Ordeing the Adjustable Rig soon though.
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    Also completely agree on the time and preheating the planks. The recipe in the Big Green Egg cookbook calls for 12-15 minutes using this method at 400 degrees. Way too low on the time. Last night I went 23 minutes and it came out perfect and moist. Kicked butt on the dried out fish I had on my last restaurant visit.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    jfarley said:
    Also completely agree on the time and preheating the planks. The recipe in the Big Green Egg cookbook calls for 12-15 minutes using this method at 400 degrees. Way too low on the time. Last night I went 23 minutes and it came out perfect and moist. Kicked butt on the dried out fish I had on my last restaurant visit.

Yeah, I always go to 140* IT. Perfectly flaky and comes off the skin easily.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds tasty and healthy. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Sounds tasty and healthy. Nice job.
    Thanks Griffin. This recipe is really good, and yes quite healthy. Perfect after a 2-night bender...
    :))
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow that really sounds good i will give that citrus salsa a try. the gf does not like anything with cilantro in it so i haven't made salsa in two years and i miss it :((  yours sounds like something that will get me back in the salsa groove

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Chubbs
    Options
    BENTE said:
    wow that really sounds good i will give that citrus salsa a try. the gf does not like anything with cilantro in it so i haven't made salsa in two years and i miss it :((  yours sounds like something that will get me back in the salsa groove
    Go for it. Good stuff. Last time I used the leftover salsa on chicken breasts and a turkey burger. It is great on a lot of things.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks good! I like the salmon recipe I use so much I haven't made it any other way in years. I might have to give this a try or at least use the salsa on something else.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.