Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How lo-n-slow is too lo-n-slow??

Options
Good morning, everyone.

I am a bit fan of the overnight lo-n-slow butt!  ...it's a family favorite.

I did a 8#'er on Saturday night that I injected with apple juice & apple wine vinegar on Friday night.  I had the egg good and stabilized at 225 grid.  I used a good amount of apple chunks - so, what I normally find is that for a short-time the wood chunks actually have the temp a little higher until they burn-off.  So, I went to 241 degrees (for about an hour) and then the egg stabilized itself back at 225 degrees.   I used RO - which I like - and it held at 225 forever.  After nearly 17 hours the fuel started running low and the temp started to drop.  A quick jiggle and the temp went back up to 225'ish. 

I had a very hard time getting it to 190 degrees internal.  I'm sure that's because the extra lo temp.  And, although, it was very tasty - but, truthfully, a little dry.

Here is my question:  is 225 grate temp too low and 17 hrs too long?  Or, should that really lo-n-slow make the butt more tender or less tender?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the cook temp and time is fine but the internal could have been bumped up a little higher, 195 to even 200 internal for me. i tend to increase temps towards the end of the cook to finish it up just a little quicker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep gotta cook it longer. Start checking it at 195 IT. Bone should slide right out.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • EggerInCharlotte
    Options
    I'm fully on-board with cooking to temp (vs. time) and I knew I was pulling it early (unfortunately, I never anticipated it taking 17+ hours so I just ran out of runway.)  

Although the bone pulled clean and easily, it was dry (even after I injected it the night before.)

I've never pulled one at an internal temp this low before.  So, I'm wondering - are butts typically dry when you pull them early?  If I were to have left it on for another 7-10 degrees and brought it to the >195 degrees, it would have been more moist?

I know every butt is different - but, I'm wondering if those last 7-10 degrees would have made it moist or even more dry.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    I had two 8lbers on this weekend as well and was trying same temp, I ran into the same issue and after reading a bunch of threads this weekend, I think Ill shoot for 250 next time.  I think mine was at 18 hours and I pulled them to finish in the oven because I didnt want to reload the Egg at that point. 
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    The last pair of butts I did took 17 hrs at 250 grate temp. They seemed to stall forever before taking off toward 200. Differences in the meat will change stall and cook times.