Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a small butt. Help!

500 Posts: 3,177
Well, my pork butt is small, that is. My real one is a different story. So, I have a 4 ish pound boneless fresh Boston Butt. I've never done a fresh one, and I've never done a boneless either. They've always been shrink wrapped. It looks so much nicer than the cryovac ones. Being boneless, am I right to assume it will cook quicker than a bone in? I think it may be less moist, as well? Well, my plan is, since I have the time today, is to put it on low and slow, even though I am a fan of the Nitro style, then sit down and watch the VCU Rams beat Butler, starting at 12 noon EST on ESPN2, then take it off about 6pm to pull and eat, with no rest. After its far enough along, I may kick in the Nitrous, if need be. How does that sound? I gave it a mustard slather and a rubbing of Tuffy Stone's rub recipe last night over a Red Stag and marishino cherry sipper. Going to hit it again with the rub before dropping it on indirect plate setter. I'm going to try a new drink recipe; a guava jalapeño margarita. Last night I infused some tequila with jalapeno. It should be happy this evening.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I cooked a 3+ pound boneless a couple of weeks ago. Dry rubbed. Indirect at 300 for 90 mins per pound. I put the roast in a rack above the grid. I put a fist-sized hickory lump on the fire just before adding the roast and closing the lid. I left the Egg closed the entire time. Eggselent!

Tim
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mine is small to. I have a hard time finding pants that fit.

I would go low n slow for a small boneless one. Easier to dry out. I have cooked a few of them and not as tasty as my normal 8lb bone in.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    That's what I figured, Chubbs.  (I'm not talking about your pants.)  Just thought I'd try it anyway.  How bad can it be?  It's pork, right?
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    As Myron Mixon says "any meat not worthy of resting, isn't worth cooking"!  I am a firm believer of resting most of my cooks.  Juist considering years ago when my object was to get the steak to the table before it cooled off!!  Then cut into it and the juice would run out all over the plate.  It does make a difference in my opinion.  And if you did it turbo style, the butt could be "at rest", waiting for you to pull it when ever you wanted to eat.  That way, if you come across a drink you really like you can kick back and have "few" without worrying "if the butt is ready?"...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Never had the luxury of fresh but bone or not makes no difference WRT cook times or moisture in my eggsperience.  Now-you really caught my attention with the jalapeno infused tequila-great idea and I'm sure it will enhance the quality of the finished pork...Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Don't sweat it . That's one of the benefits of the egg. Will make the butt grow.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    As Myron Mixon says "any meat not worthy of resting, isn't worth cooking"!  I am a firm believer of resting most of my cooks. 
    I got an accidental lesson in that just this week. I am retired and my wife works, so most weekdays I try to get supper on the table at around 6:15. I was cooking braised pork chops and a couple of things to go with them. At 6 PM, my wife called and she was late getting away from work, I got mad and turned the heat off and left the pan covered.

When we finally ate about 45 minutes later than I had intended, they were the best pork chops I had ever made.

Tim
  • It all sounds good but the outcome of the ball game. Go Bulldogs! But I hope the butt turns out good. I'm sure it will be fantastic, just not quite as fantastic as a larger bone-in. But as you said, how bad could it be? It's still a pig!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Charlie tuna
    Another thing you mentioned in your post "boneless fresh Boston Butt" is very important.  For many years i bought my meat products from Sam's Club or other "big box" stores, vacuum sealed and previously frozen!  About a year ago i found out the major advantage of buying fresh from the local butcher shop!  My first lesson was spatchcocked chicken, what a difference and the raw chicken didn't even look the same!  The local chicken was bone white, with less fat under the skin.  The finished product was suprising, to the point that i had to cook it three times in one week just to make sure!!  Then i thought, "let me try the butcher's pork butt" which was smaller than the discount store's!  Again, a big difference.  The price is slightly more, but the reduction in waste must be considered too.  The local chicken is smaller in size, like the "old time" chickens used to be!!
    I found it at Food Lion of all places. Around here Food Lion is not considered your go to place for fresh meat. Hoping for the best. If not, at the margarita should be good. Go Rams!
    Member since 2009
    To follow up, the boneless was leaner and difficult to pull at 195. I went low and slow for 2.5 hr. then kicked in the Nitrous. After 6.5 hrs it was at 195. Smoke ring and some bark, but overall not impressed. Not my best work. Our neighbor we fed it too liked it though. And the margaritas were excellent ..
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Turbo cooking would have taken about the same amount of time, maybe an hour less?  Turbo cooking is a fool proof method and requires less attention, why worry about the outcome, and the pulled pork would be waiting on you!!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @500 - not impressed with the meat itself or the way it pulled???

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Charlie tuna
    The rule on turbo it to smoke it for at least the first two hours, then wrap it in foil at 160 degrees internal.  One day i was in a hurry and i got the two and a half hours of smoke, but the internal was only 140 degrees.  I told myself "how much difference can it make!".  Well, i finished the cook like i normally do -- and when a went to pull the butt -- it was tough --  it didn't want to fall apart like the normal turbo!  Another lesson learnt!!  Now i never wrap the butt up until i reach "at least' 160 internal degrees.  Above is not a problem, but below is !!!   
    Both. I was hard to pull. It was leaner than bone in, so it wasn't super moist. I rushed it so partially my fault too. I didn't tHink I would need the foil, but I did. I thought it would be good as bone in, just smaller. Live and learn. Now I know.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    I only buy local meats now that i have seen a BIG difference in the end result.  My local butcher cuts a lot of butts up into smaller portions, like cuts them in half.  When he does this, he removes the bone.  I see no difference in the pulled pork?
    Then I guess it was me.  I pushed the temps too high, I guess.  Gunshy about boneless, but maybe others have had better luck.
    Member since 2009