Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wahoo

a friend of mine game me a wahoo steak a couple of months ago. i'm thawing it out tonight. any recipe ideas for the fish?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    Wahoo is the fastest fish in the ocean -----  but it is also a fast cooking fish, very mild tasting -- "lean" - meaning not fishy tasting.  It is excellent grilled, and it's flesh is very compact like swordfish or tuna --- meaning it can be handled without falling apart like many other fish.  It is usually served steaked.  When i catch a wahoo, i will always try to save some of it for fish chowder, because it remains solid, almost like pieces of chicken breast in the chowder.  Again, since it is very "lean", it can easily be overpowered by spices.  I refrigerate the steaks right up to cooking time, dip it in melted lemon/butter which will coat heavy on the cold steak, then on a hot CI grill  -  high heat, and cook it as though it was a rare steak  --  it cooks very fast and will dry out and loose it's taste if overcooked.  Probably only have enough cooking time to get grill crossed grill marks on one side -- meaning only flipped twice.
  • Charlie tuna
    The first run a Wahoo takes after hooking one --  will leave a memory frozen in your mind!!  They can run off 200 yards of line - none stop in a minute!  Just this type of run usually identifies the fish before ever being seen!  The Wahoo has a particular type of parisite in it's stomach, a pyramid shape purple worm -- only one, but every wahoo has one!!  They get as large as 140 pounds -- the fish, not the worm !!    :((
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Charlie,
    They are stacked up offshore right now. Going to be makin a trip in the next week or two.
  • Charlie tuna
    Where are you fishing??   You need to get a good fish chowder recipe.  Nothing better in fish chowder than wahoo.  Solid chunks of fish, solid like a bite of chicken breast..
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Louisiana. Offshore out of Fourchon.

Never had chowder. Got a link for the recepie?
  • sola said:

Charlie,
    They are stacked up offshore right now. Going to be makin a trip in the next week or two.

Please refrain from discussions like this. It only makes me more mad. Haha
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Charlie tuna
    I'll have to look in my seafood recipe book --  i have one that uses "half and half" ----  !
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I'll have to look in my seafood recipe book --  i have one that uses "half and half" ----  !

Half Wahoo and half chicken???

He He!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Charlie tuna
    "HALF & HALF" as like a coffee creamer is added in this recipe, which makes the chowder "white" in color.  Asked the wife to fine the recipe -- haven't used it in years -- no wahoo where we now live!!