Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok, Pit controller or mini?

I have a medium and a large, and trying to spend the tax return before SWMBO spends it all on clothes,  so just a question to you all. I've never had a big problem with overnight cooks and that's the only thing that I could see using a pit controller for.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Bourbon given you already have two BGE's and once you remember what you spent it on-no evidence :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Bourbon is a great option, but I will drink that so quick in the next few months that I was hoping to spend the money on something that I will actually be able to use come June or July.
    :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Man I've just never seen the need for me to 'have to have' a controller. Sometimes I'm like eh well lets buy one, then the egg rocks out a solid over night and I don't see the need!!

Get you a mini sir!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    That's what I was thinking @MrCookingNurse but just looking for a few other opinions. I guess the only low and slow that I haven't tackled is a full packer brisket. Maybe I should wait and do that first.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    So what's different about controller the egg if its brisket or butt?? Just saying if its 250 its 250.

Good luck. You'll enjoy either. But a mini more!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    I guess the tech thing that I could check my cook while at work on my phone. That's the only thing I can think of it could be fun to adjust a cook on my phone or on a computer, but haven't had the need to before.
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265

I guess the tech thing that I could check my cook while at work on my phone. That's the only thing I can think of it could be fun to adjust a cook on my phone or on a computer, but haven't had the need to before.
    I can see why that would be a great thing.  I tend to stay close to the house when I'm doing a long cook.  You already have 2 Eggs so unless you want to take a mini on the road I don't see why you would need the mini.  BUT,  I do love my mini.  It is a bunch of fun and being portable I can move it around to avoid wind and rain.  For a quick cook for 2 people it is just about perfect.  Be forewarned that when you get the mini you will almost certainly need a mini woo, baking stones, and a High-Que grate.  So Make sure your wife returns the last six pairs of shoes she bought!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have bought 2 controllers. Sold the first and about to sell the second. Buy the Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    My mini gets way more use than my pit controller. Just saying.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Buy the mini. I am about to. Imagine
    Protein on the large, starch on the medium and veggies on the mini. Plus you have kids and could teach them on the mini. Let them cook their own franks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:

Buy the mini. I am about to. Imagine
    Protein on the large, starch on the medium and veggies on the mini. Plus you have kids and could teach them on the mini. Let them cook their own franks.

Here here!!
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I only use my digiq a couple of times per month but it has never failed me and i can leave the house or go to sleep and never worry about temp creep (up or down).  The peace of mind is well worth it for me. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    mini, mini, mini.  I just pulled the trigger on a small last night.  Can't wait to use it. 
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited March 2013
    It all depends on your plans, since you already have two eggs you kind of know if you'll be doing lots of indirect cooks or traveling. 

If your mini is going to stay at your house I would say pit controller. But if you are even a little bit interested in taking it places, I would get the mini. 

I use my DigiQ all the time. Do I need to, no, but I have it so I do. I also don't have a maverick or any other remote thermometer so anything over an hour I use the DigiQ. As much for the temperature reading as the fan. I have a outlet in my pergola so I don't have to run a extension cord (another thing to think about is how close is power to your egg). Getting a CyberQ only ups the fun factor by being able to monitor it from in the house or while at work.

But I also love my small egg and travel with it almost weekly. I usually cook for 4 or more hungry people, so the mini was a little too mini and I went with the small. But the mini is even easier to go mobile and some of the pictures people are posting using minis are pretty amazing. So you could take it to the park, lake, or anywhere really and have all sorts of weekend adventures with awesome food. 

Just think of what YOU would use more and that should be your answer. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Buy them both - problem solved!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have had a DigiQ for two and a half years, used to use it a lot, but i now know how my egg is going to react at many cooks, so if i am going to be monitoring the cook from time to time, i don't use it.  But if i am doing other things, or want to go to the store during certain cooks, i'll hook it up and let it monitor the cook.  Then there are things like BIG turkeys, or roasts, that i am not that comfortable with and i'll hook it up.  And looking back, i think i would do the same thing over and pull the trigger on the controller.  Many times i will not use the fan, but just the two probes to know what is going on inside my egg and inside the meat !
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2013
    I use my DigiQ2 on low & slows only and my mini way more frequently.  The mini's a versitile beast and I never guessed before I bought it how much I enjoy using it.  My youngest daughter is almost 5 and she's taken ownership of the mini.  She tells me with gusto "It's my Egg, OK???"  This weekend, we're planning a hot dog cook.  Get the mini.  You won't regret it.
    Flint, Michigan