Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey, Columbia Eggers...

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

Anyone going to the Commissioner's Cup BBQ Cookoff at the Farmer's Market?  I think it would be fun to throw together a local Egghead team.  It's $150 per team for entry, but they provide you with 4-8 butts.  I think you have to provide your own ribs though.  I would enter it by myself, but I only have one egg.  ;) Deadline for entry is Monday, March 4th. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

I would enter it by myself, but I only have one egg.   

And he doesn't know how to cook on it. Bah-Zing!!  ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Watch it, Andy Griffith! [-X
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =)) I kid, I kid.  

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wait... You STILL haven't picked up the small yet?!?!?!

Just kidding :) I was born in Columbia BTW. It's been a lot better without me!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    No, I still haven't picked up the small... :( My wife said we are going to have to pay Uncle Sam first before getting any new toys. Taxes were a beast for us this year. :( So I hafta wait til April at the soonest.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Griffin said:

=)) I kid, I kid.  

Ok, ok...I thought I was going to hafta tear up your invitation for dinner tonight. ;) Making some Cajun jambalaya on the egg. :)
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Yeah I'm looking to get a 2nd egg after taxes too. I might be interested. How many per team? What is date of event?
    Boom
  • Dyal_SC
    Options

Yeah I'm looking to get a 2nd egg after taxes too. I might be interested. How many per team? What is date of event?

Click on the link above for more details. It's March 22-23 and you can have up to five people per team.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Gents, unfortunately I will be out of town at a wedding that weekend. I have a Large and will be picking up a mini in the next week or two. Sounds like fun. Maybe next time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Anyone going to the Commissioner's Cup BBQ Cookoff at the Farmer's Market?  I think it would be fun to throw together a local Egghead team.  It's $150 per team for entry, but they provide you with 4-8 butts.  I think you have to provide your own ribs though.  I would enter it by myself, but I only have one egg.  ;) Deadline for entry is Monday, March 4th. 

Sounds like fun but I think I will pass.  I have it on my calendar though and would like to check it out.  Question though - How in the world do you pack up a large egg and take it to something like that?
    Columbia, SC

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options

sarivers,

Very carefully....

:)) :))
  • Dyal_SC
    Options

@sarivers, the easiest way IMO is to take it all apart and bungee the main body in nice and snug.

• sarivers
    Options
    I see. Thanks for the picture.  How hard is it pulling the egg out of the nest.  I assume you need help doing that.  If I pick 1 day to go to the Commissioner's Cup I was thinking about Friday night to see everyone cooking.  What do you think?
    Columbia, SC

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Not too hard... I got some meat on my bones, so I just bear hug it and pick it up out of the nest. I think I'm just gonna go to the event as well, and not cook this time. Maybe next time we could plan it out further in advance. :) Not sure which day I am going yet... would love to taste everyone's stuff on Saturday tho. :)
  • sarivers
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Not too hard... I got some meat on my bones, so I just bear hug it and pick it up out of the nest. I think I'm just gonna go to the event as well, and not cook this time. Maybe next time we could plan it out further in advance. :) Not sure which day I am going yet... would love to taste everyone's stuff on Saturday tho. :)

I'm thinking I might see more cooking techniques on Friday night but I would like to taste the food Saturday too. 

Columbia, SC