Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting a Shoulder

Options

I am going to cook my second shoulder, when is the best time to inject it?  The night before? An hour before I put it on ?  Meat cold or room temp?

I plan on cooking it indirect at 275.

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I have injected and not injected , couldn't really tell mch difference. When I did inject I did it right before i put it on the grill ( maybe that was wrong and why it matter ). Good luck with your cook !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited March 2013
    Options
    @egzilla I'm right there with @calracefan I've done them both ways and I cannot tell enough difference to make it worth the effort.

Let me give you another option, try Jeff Phillips finishing sauce. I copied the data below from Jeff Phillips Smoking-Meat. com

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
    1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

For an 8 lb butt I would use about half a recipe.  Don't get too much to much to start with, as with anything you can add to it, but you can't subtract.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive done it before cooking but found its better to inject during the cook, the flavors stand up better. i inject a vinegar sauce when the meat comes around 170 to 180 internal. theres no mess in the kitchen this way either. i also give it a light dusting of rub at this time because alot of rub flavor dissapears over the long cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Agreed with @fishlessman

I inject with a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and apple juice right after the stall, and then hit with some more rub.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's one we did from the Big Bob Gibson cook book, turn out great.

Injection
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    In a separate bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the injection. Using a meat syringe, inject the pork evenly at 1-inch intervals from the top side, using the entire injection solution. Dry the outside of the meat with paper towels and apply an even coating of the dry rub all over, patting it down so the rub adheres. Wrap the pork in foil and let rest in the refrigerator overnight.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    A little trick for those who inject indoors-wrap the target meat in a saran wrap before injecting.  Then inject through the wrap-keeps the stray shots contained and makes clean-up much easier.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I  am sold on Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade Seasoning  -- inject while my egg is stabizing -- comes from most stores and a 12 ounce bottle($3.50) will do two butts.  Inject slow--slow -slow!  get 6 ounces in the meat.  And "NO" the butt will not taste like Teriayki!!