Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket, Help!!!!!!!!!

pkaboo1
pkaboo1 Posts: 115

some say marinate,some say no.

I marinated overnight,

5lb brisket (1st cook, small brisket, small investment,)

250 dome.

seasonings, personal,what you like.

on the egg at 12:00pm

Have not looked.

5:30pm, 158-164,from 3:30pm to 5:00pm

Snellville,Ga.

Comments

• pkaboo1

Please forgive me.

from 3:00pm til 5:00pm

I'm Froze between 158 and 164 for 2.5 hrs.

Snellville,Ga.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Just dont do what your handle reads and "peek a boo" at it a lot. Not sure what you are asking, have you started or not.

I go rub, mustard, rub, apple wood, apple juice and water in drip pan. 250 GRATE temp until 195*. Start misting with apple cider vinger and apple juice every hour after first 4 hours. You want the bark to set first. It will be done when fork tender. 195-205 traditionally for me. Dont get discouraged if it is not extremely moist. Briskets are little tricky.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I think he is addressing the dreaded stall.  Don't sweat it.  You'll be stuck there awhile.  Have another couple of beverages and wait it out until 195-205 as Chubbs posted.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319

Here's your reading assignment while getting thru the stall-should help with the next one.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Slice agai
    nst the grain and only when ready to serve-it dries out quickly.  Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Just as lou said, you need to read and educate yourself. He gave me the same links when I asked a similar question and after reading, and learning from experience, my briskets are on point.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Just as lou said, you need to read and educate yourself. He gave me the same links when I asked a similar question and after reading, and learning from experience, my briskets are on point.
    +1 brisket is probably the most finicky cook I've ever done, especially when doing something so small I'm assuming it's just the flat. Once you get it to a point that you can put a knife into it like it's soft butter, foil it and let it rest, preferably in a cooler for at least 30 minutes to a hour to let the juices redistribute. Hope it turns out good!! If it's drier then you want it to be, turn around tomorrow and make brisket chilli or stew.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

+1 brisket is probably the most finicky cook I've ever done, especially when doing something so small I'm assuming it's just the flat. Once you get it to a point that you can put a knife into it like it's soft butter, foil it and let it rest, preferably in a cooler for at least 30 minutes to a hour to let the juices redistribute. Hope it turns out good!! If it's drier then you want it to be, turn around tomorrow and make brisket chilli or stew.

+1 on not wasting it.

This is what I did with my first 2 briskets, and mind you they were full packers that cost between $40-$50 each. I wasn't happy with the results, and threw them out.

After learning that you can still chop it up, and make GREAT sandwiches, stew, chili, and more. If you just get some beef broth, or gravy, and drizzle it over the meat, it makes it great! NEVER , NEVER throw it away like I have, it always can be brought back to life!

Enjoy the learning curve, it is steep, but you will get there. Remember as well not to buy a corned beef brisket, only a flat, or packer.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• pkaboo1

I never peek. I was stuck between 158-164 for 4hrs, b than greatut you guys said,be patient.

I was, It came out great.....better than great.

French Onion soup,1onion,2cloves garlic, home made seasoning,bring to a boil, reduce by

half. Cool,inject.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Snellville,Ga.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Congrats-the home-run with a brisket flat is hard to achieve-right out of the gate you nailed it. I would be remiss if I didn't let you know that such results are the exception (for most anyhow) rather than the rule.  But enjoy the success!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.