Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock turkey?

Has anyone done a spatchcock turkey?
I am new to the BGE and have read how spatchcock chicken would be a good start but the only reason I am thinking about turkey is there is one in the freezer:)
Will spatchcocking (is that a word) a turkey be a difficult task, I have yet tried it on a chicken.
It is around a 13lb bird and I have a lg. BGE should I give it a go? Any ideas on this cook?

thanks
Cary NC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Mickey should be along as he is the resident turkey spatchcock eggspert.  I have done them up to around 15lbs on LBGE.  I go indirect at about 350*F on the dome.  I believe Mickey does them raised direct.  You may try a google search and in addition to spatchcock turkey add Big Green Egg to your query-should get you more info.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • No problem...just a little tougher to cut through the bones, but very doable. I usually do two 18 pounders for Thanksgiving. They are always the "hit" of the dinner!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I squeezed an 18lber spatchcocked on my large with a inverted v-rack  Rasied direct at 250 - took ~ 2.5 hours.  Was the best turkey I ever made.  Crisp DARK skin with extremely moist meat.

Garnerville, NY
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Thanks for the ideas... looks like i will just need to decide indirect or direct?
    Did you use any special rubs or did you inject the bird with anything

Cary NC
  • robnybbq
    There are a few we use.  Either Dizzy Pig Tsuami Spin or we use Jake's Poulty rub that has coffee in it.  You be amazed on the flavor from the coffee in the rub.

Garnerville, NY
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Did this one for Thanksgiving. Cooked indirect, turned out great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Brine for 24 hours in a vegetable stock brine, then uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours. Indirect @ 375.
    Edina, MN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

i cook direct......

Spatchcocked Turkey
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub (see below) Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180
    Please let set for 20 to 30 mins to rest before cutting.
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mickey, can I have your autograph? :ar!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Chubbs said:
    Mickey, can I have your autograph? :ar!
    only when cut & paist over takes good writing.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    okay, this is really interesting. I have a couple of questions...I've done our family's turkeys for Thanksgiving ever since I got my BGE XL 4 years ago.  These turkeys have been absolutely awesome!
    Here are the questions...is it really better? My wife thinks the spatchcock chicken is the best she's ever had, so...
    Also, do you brine the turkey as well beforehand?
    Thanks!
  • Jscott said:
    okay, this is really interesting. I have a couple of questions...I've done our family's turkeys for Thanksgiving ever since I got my BGE XL 4 years ago.  These turkeys have been absolutely awesome!
    Here are the questions...is it really better? My wife thinks the spatchcock chicken is the best she's ever had, so...
    Also, do you brine the turkey as well beforehand?
    Thanks!
    I do a "dry" brine, starting three days before the cook...salt, pepper, and dried herbs all over, under the skin, sealed in a plastic bag. Then one day before the cook take out of the bag and let it dry out overnight in the fridge (for crispy skin). So much easier than wet brine and doesn't dilute the turkey with a lot of extra water. I will never "wet" brine poultry again!
  • robnybbq
    I did not brine but want to try it to see if there is a major difference.  I will say that it does not need a brine for moisture.

Garnerville, NY
  • I talked to my butcher about getting me a fresh 12 to 14 pound turkey just so i can brine it like i have been doing my spatchcocked chickens.  He said Easter he can find them for me??
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Plcharfoon  I love this idea and this is what I end up doing for my chickens. Yes, the skin does get crispier.
    Thanks!