Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Kind Of Bed Do You Sleep On? OT

Wilma and I (mostly me) were tired of waking up to sore backs.  A lot of my family have Sleep Number beds and swear by them.  We pulled the trigger on one this weekend to the tune of $3,500.  My Mom says it will really help with the back.  I hope so!  What bed do you sleep on?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• The wife and I wouldnt trade our Sleep Number for 10 Tempurpedics.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • Sleep Number I series Limited Edition.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    Yeah, I've got a friend that loves his sleep number. We have a costco Tempurpedic knock off. It is very comfortable, but is not as firm as I would like. Might think about switching here down the road.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Bought a Tempurpedic last summer, wish I'd done so 20 years ago.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• We have Comfortaire.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Tempurpedic. The best sleep I've ever had....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If I've been good a boy, Sealy...but i see the couch some too.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Serta I-Comfort w/adjustable foundation (adjusts height of head and feet).  No more sore backs/necks for me and my wife.  Best money I ever spent!
  • After more than 30 years of sleeping on a waterbed, we switched, a few years ago to Bragada.  They are a memory foam company that sells factory direct.  They have many choices in terms of firmness.  They are much cheaper than Tempurpedic and have a much better (lifetime) warranty.
    We absolutely love it.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • I recently bought a new king mattress and frame. I wanted a tempurpedic but was out of my price range so went sealy
    Boom
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

I have cronic back problems and tempurpedic has improved them dramatically since I bought it about 5 years ago. I will never buy another brand again. My mattress and my Eggs are the best purchases I have ever made. Both very expensive and both worth every penny.

@travisstrickstarted a discussion on this about a year ago. Some great info there.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    We sleep on some hoity toity  bed... it's fine - not worth the money. We have a Sealy in our guestroom that is the most comfortable bed i've ever seen.  We went through a couple Sleep-to-live mattresses on our journey .. stay far and wide away from those.
  • I have a Temperpedic and a sleep number. I love them both hard to go wrong. The sleep number is in the guest room now so when I'm bad I still have a good bed to sleep on.
  • After multiple sleep number experiences, we got this bed.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Contour-Collection/Tempur-Pedic-GrandBed.asp

We have the king and I have never slept as well as I do now, hands down no questions asked. When it comes to your back, and a good nights sleep, go big or go home.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• I can give you 2 recommendations.  I have both a sleep number bed and a latex bed(two different houses).  They are the 2 best beds I've ever slept in.  The sleep number is probably 15 years old and the latex bed is 10 years old.  They both sleep like they are brand new.  I woke up this morning thinking about the 2 beds and which one I preferred.  I guess I would prefer the latex bed.....all things being equal.  But,  all things are not equal.  The latex bed is incredibly heavy.  My wife and I can hardly turn it 90 degrees much less flip it.  The sleep number bed weighs nothing and folds up and could easily be moved.  It is full of air so one would assume that at some point it would leak although mine has seen heavy use for 15 years with no problems.  The latex bed looks perfectly new after 10 years.  It is really an amazing bed.  It is extraordinarily comfortable.

I have never owned a Tempurpedic but I have slept on them.  I have friends that swear by them.  I like them ok.....but not as much as the latex and the sleep number.   People tend to love them or hate them.  You might be one of the ones that love them.

The bottom line is this.  If you plan to stay in one place for a long time buy the latex bed.  It is one of the best consumer products I've ever bought.  If you plan to move around at all I would buy the Sleep Number bed or a Tempurpedic, if you like the memory foam.
  • Tempurpedic.  My wife hasn't had LBP in the last 3 years.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Wilma likes a softer mattress than me. The Sleep Number bed accomodates that.
    Flint, Michigan
  • We have one of the super firm's (and supposedly advanced) from IKEA.  I know it sounds bad, but we liked it way more than matresses 3X it's cost at good mattress stores.  One day we will get a high quality topper for it.  I guess it tops the antique (literally) mattress I slept on growing up.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    tempurpedic here, had h2o beds, sleep numbers, and this was the first one to relieve my lower back pain.  a good nights sleep is all about proper spinal alignment and to each his own on this one.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Simmons Beautyrest for us, they are the best!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Wouldn't trade my sleep number for anything that I could afford. I did think the Thempurpedic was awful comfy when we laid on it, but the one we like was close to 5 grand.

My wife and I havent had any back problems since we got the number.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    For anyone interested, I saw Tempurpedics at my local Costco for under 2 grand. This was along with the Novaform "knock-off" for around $500. It was not a road show, either. Regular floor stock.
  • We have had Tempurpedic for a few years. Really comfortable and hard to disturb the wife (although I have other methods for that). Little hot sometimes even with the gel pad.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Sleep number for me.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Had several Sleep Number beds over the years, switched to a Tempurpdic and like it much better. It took a week to get used to, but now I sleep and barely move at night...almost never roll or flip.  Expensive, but worth it.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Had a tempurpedic for about 5yrs now. I am however putting a warranty claim in on it so we will see how that plays out. Definitely a great bed though. I tend to crush any regular type beds pretty quickly.
    Lynnwood WA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Sleep Number and love it!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited February 2013
    Tempurpedic.  You will never regret it.  Although you may be paying for it for a along time.  It's the best purchase I've ever made.  At the risk of upsetting the Sleep Number folks here - they are just a blow up mattress inside a mattress cover.  Pull up the cover in the store and see for yourself.  Unzip the cover - you will see the exact same thing you take camping.  We actually got roped into the Sleep Number in the mall, but before it shipped I laid on a Tempurpedic and immediately canceled the Sleep Number bed.  They aren't bad beds, but all you're getting is a glorified blow up mattress.  The Tempurpedic is so much more substantial. And more comfortable.   

Oh and to combat what some people say is hotness in the Tempurpedic, buy the "Sleep Number In-Balance Mattress Pad".  Yes, it's a Sleep Number mattress pad.  :)  It absorbs heat and reduces temperature swings.  It's expensive too, but worth it.  Then you will have the perfect mattress setup.  I promise.  :)

• The wife and I bought a Tempurpedic almost 5 years ago.. One of the best purchases I've ever made.  I couldn't believe I was spending upwards of $3500 on a mattress, but when you consider how much time you spend on it, it's well worth it.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • We alternate between a Jamison latex during the week and a full wave waterbed on the weekends. Totally different beds but we love them both!
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller