Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Get Your HOTDOGS!!!

eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason hot dogs sound real good today! I know ive seen some gormet type hot dogs posted so if you don't mind, give me some idears.[p]Is there a particular brand you really like?[p]Scott

Comments

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    eggor,[p]I prefer a brat (Johnsonville)...bathed in beer & onions on the grid then grilled.
  • eggor,[p]1) Nathan's
    2) Hebrew national
    3) Vienna Beef[p]Hope you can find them!

• EggcredibleHulk,[p]Oh yea baby! Try this way for Brats:[p]Beer-Brats on a Bun[p]Grill the sausages first, then add them to a beer sauce for a great sandwich.[p]Makes 4 servings[p]Ingredients:[p]1 pound bratwurst
    3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    12 ounces dark German beer
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon coarse German-style mustard
    4 Kaiser or other hard rolls[p]Preparation:[p]Grill sausages over medium heat until brown and 3/4 done, turning them occasionally as they brown.[p]In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil. Add the onion, cover the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until light brown. [p]Pour in the beer and scrape up any brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Add grilled sausages to the pan, and add the bay leaves.[p]Partially cover and cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the mustard and cook until the liquid has begun to thicken slightly. To serve, split the brats down the middle and place on a roll with the onions and sauce. Pass a pot of hot mustard on the side.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    eggor,[p]I usually eat Nathans or Sabretts (sp). I just bought a couple of packs of Nathans cheese filled dogs, and I like them a lot. Not sure about any gourmet preparations. I say light the grill, throw on dogs, after a few minutes, roll them around until done to your liking. If you want to get fancy, I say go with some nice toppings. Maybe some sauerkraut, onions, and chili as options. And definitely cheese. You could also make this an indoor cook and fry up some corn dogs. Yum![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• eggor
    Cornfed,[p]corndogs??? i found this recipe i had saved, but it looks like a major pain. Do you have anything easier?[p]1 gallon peanut oil
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons (approximately 1 large) jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
    1 (8.5-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1/3 cup finely grated onion
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    4 tablespoons cornstarch, for dredging
    8 beef hot dogs[p]Special equipment: 8 sets chopsticks, not separated[p]Pour oil into a deep fryer or large heavy pot and heat to 375 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the jalapeno, corn, onion, and buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once, and stir only enough times to bring the batter together; there should be lumps. Set batter aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes. [p]Scatter the cornstarch into a dry pie pan. Roll each hot dog in the cornstarch and tap well to remove any excess. [p]Transfer enough batter to almost fill a large drinking glass. Refill the glass as needed. Place each hot dog on chopsticks, and quickly dip in and out of the batter. Immediately and carefully place each hot dog into the oil, and cook until coating is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. With tongs, remove to cooling rack, and allow to drain for 3 to 5 minutes.[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dc522a2c.jpg
    <p />eggor,[p]For dogs, I vote for Nathan's (with the snapping skins), but I prefer homemade sausage. I try to limit myself to one only.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor
    thirdeye,[p]did you post about a sausage book just a few days ago, i've been scrolling around trying to find the name of the book.[p]Scott

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]thanks...may have to try that before the weekend is up..[p]The Hulk
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    eggor,[p]Not a few days ago.... but I recommend Great Sausage Recipes & Meat Curing by R. Kutas. Excellent step by step directions & photographs. Try Cabelas or the Sausage Maker. Hot Links & Country Flavors by Aidells and Kelly is great for recipes. Here is a good sausage link too.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Sausage[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Cornfed,[p]Try this Sabrett Onions in Sauce clone:[p]1 1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 med onion diced
    1 cup water
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1 Tbs corn syrup
    2 Tbs tomato paste
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup white vinegar[p]Saute onions in oil until translucent.
    Disolve cornstarch in water then stir in corn syrup, tomato paste, salt and pepper flakes.
    Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 min.
    Add vinegar and simmer 10 more minutes until sauce is thick.
    Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    eggor,[p]If you have a kosher butcher or grocery store, ask for some of their "grillers" or hot dogs with skin. The best! If not, Nathan's beef or Hebrew National are good substitutes. Although I love pork spareribs, I think all-beef hotdogs are the best. As a native New Yorker, the only way to eat them is with Gulden's mustard and warm sauerkraut on a white bun. (Residents of other states may disagree).[p]Barbara
  • Dug
    Dug Posts: 14
    EggcredibleHulk,
    Their "Stadium Brats" are great!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0569.jpg
    <p />eggor,
    perhaps a regional thing but our favorite here in the flatlands is Dubuque Old Fashioned Franks. Then what knocks your socks off is adding this homemade chili dog sauce! Yowwwwwssser - does that rock!!!

[ul][li]Chuck Lane's knock off of Varisty chili dog sauce[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    eggor,
    Wife insisted on Hebrew National the other day. Not on our to do list again. Just plain dogs, Plumpers, Wranglers, really like the brats in beer and onions.[p]Mike

• eggor,
    A good way to dress up any dog is to roll them in Obie's Sweet and Heat, then dwell at around 300 for about 15 minutes or so.
    MaryA

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    I buy "David Berg" Chicago style hot dogs here in Cleveland. They are, without question, the best hot dogs money can buy...

Ryan