Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 1/4" Fire bricks under XL - adequate to protect wood table & any hinge clearance issues?

I am going to use 1.25" fire bricks to support my XL in a cypress wood table. Two questions: Will that protect the wood below from charring or starting a fire? Not sure how much heat will transfer to table. Most people recommend a 2" paver - will the 1.25" height cause hinge issues by not clearing the table when opening? Thanks Mark

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I started out with my LBGE on fire bricks. On some high heat, longer cooks, I reached under the bench the Egg/bricks sat on and could feel that the wood was much warmer than I was comfortable with. I then put the three feet that came with the Egg between it and the bricks and that cured the problem. They allow a little air flow between the base and the bricks, keeping heat down. I would highly recommend doing this as a minimum. This will also cure any hinge clearance issue you may have without them. My hinge rubbed my table top slightly before adding the feet due to a slight miscalculation when I built my table.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You can't use feet for the XL. The distance between your bottom shelf and top determines more if if it will open or not than the paver. I measured mine wrong first and had to use 4 pavers for it to open correct then I raised the shelf 4" and I have just 1 paver. I had my original large on a piece of tile and it never started a fire so you are fine with 1 1/4".
  • I have my xl sitting on 2 tiles left over from my kitchen floor and the tiles sit on my wood table. Has been like that for about 2 years with no problems
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Here is a pic of mine. The pavers nor the nest were even warm this weekend when I was cooking. Mine are the 12x12.