Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aquaponics anyone?

Options

I am contemplating getting into aquaponics.  There is much information out there on the internet and available in books.  Seems like an interesting way to garden and raise fish for food also.  Is anybody here doing this? and if so, could provide some information on where to look for solid information and books.

Thanks

Rick

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    Only had one meet with a guy into this type of business.  I was buying some farm equipment from a farmer and there was a guy there buying all the farmer's plastic fertizer tanks.  He told me he was going to use them for "aquaponics", then explained to raise food fish?  I was suprised because the tanks were not that big, comparing how many pounds of fish they could produce??
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Saw a couple of guys on "Doomsday Preppers" that were doing this, raising talapia in the tanks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Got a buddy of mine that has turned into one of these people.  Talk about going off the deep end!!  He has spent a bunch of money and thehe gets into it the more he spends.  He used to be "retired"  -- now he is "sick and tired"!!
  • Ricky B
    Options

Thanks for the input.  I dabbled in hydroponics many years ago and found it to be more trouble that it was worth.  I really don't want to get into another vwenture like that.  Just wanted to throw the topic out there and see if any one knew anything about it.  I'll just stick to my dirt garden.

Thanks again,

Rick