Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Frustrations

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Due to what I know know was pure dumb luck, my first BGE pizza was one of the best pizzas I've ever had. About six pizzas later, I just can't repeat the results: the crusts don't don't out as well. The first pizza had a thin, light, crispy crust with lots of air bubbles (see photo, and yes, that was before I could roll round-ish pizzas).

I've tried elimating the variables: I'm using the same store bought dough, same toppings, same thickness (cant imagine that could very much, the stone is a fixed size so I'd notice a big change of the pizza relative to the stone), same cook setup...I suspect it has to do with temperature, but I can't dial it in. On that first pizza, i had poor temp control, so the temp was all over the place. Tonight I cooked at 450. I've burned some bottoms trying hotter

A photo of the pizza I did tonight is attached...the crust was okay, but seemed denser, with no air pockets. I don't think I could have cooked it any longer without starting to burn the bottom.

Any suggestions??
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Hey @CPARKTX I've had some of the same variability and frustrations. Not to say I'm an expert by any stretch but here''re a couple things I've noticed:

Higher temp is better - ~550-600 seems to be the sweet spot. At this temp it's easy to end up with burned crust, so I've needed to check it much more often than I would anything else on the Egg. Don't be scared to open the dome on a pizza.

Start thin, end thin - At first I was scared to use enough flour and work the dough sufficiently to get it as thin as I like. I stopped trying to stretch the dough by hand and instead started using a rolling pin. Plenty of flour ensures the the dough will not stick to every damn thing like it wants to do.

Cornmeal adds a little flavor and lots of mobility - A little cornmeal on my peel and on the dough allows it to slide on and off the peel and stone with ease, that's a huge win. I've had the most success when I move the pie around a bit and keep it on a hot part of the stone.

Easy on the toppings - I have a tendency to get carried away with the sauce, cheese and toppings. I get better results when I scale back a bit and let things work together in small amounts.

I know none of this is groundbreaking, but I hope it might help a bit. I've found persistence to be well worth it and been rewarded with some really amazing pizzas on the egg.

Cheers -
    B_B 

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Please do not take the wrong way. It looks great but I thought of a big Doritos chip when I seen pic.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• cortguitarman
    Options
    My success has come by cooking at 550-600 and spinning the pie every 2-3 minutes. I've also learned not to overstretch the dough. I've recently been experimenting with a dough with a higher moisture content. It allows the dough to be worked more freely and allows me to stretch the dough by hand instead of using a rolling pin.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Hey @CPARKTX I've had some of the same variability and frustrations. Not to say I'm an expert by any stretch but here''re a couple things I've noticed:

Higher temp is better - ~550-600 seems to be the sweet spot. At this temp it's easy to end up with burned crust, so I've needed to check it much more often than I would anything else on the Egg. Don't be scared to open the dome on a pizza.

Start thin, end thin - At first I was scared to use enough flour and work the dough sufficiently to get it as thin as I like. I stopped trying to stretch the dough by hand and instead started using a rolling pin. Plenty of flour ensures the the dough will not stick to every damn thing like it wants to do.

Cornmeal adds a little flavor and lots of mobility - A little cornmeal on my peel and on the dough allows it to slide on and off the peel and stone with ease, that's a huge win. I've had the most success when I move the pie around a bit and keep it on a hot part of the stone.

Easy on the toppings - I have a tendency to get carried away with the sauce, cheese and toppings. I get better results when I scale back a bit and let things work together in small amounts.

I know none of this is groundbreaking, but I hope it might help a bit. I've found persistence to be well worth it and been rewarded with some really amazing pizzas on the egg.

Cheers -
    B_B 

+1 I use parchment paper for about 4 minutes and then pull it. Turn the pizza around on the stone a couple of times during the cook, just in case there is a hot spot. Also I like to have a pizza stone up to the temperature of the egg for about 20 or more.
    Good Luck.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I am no expert by any means but I use a pre-made crust @ 400 I do platesetter legs up my grid and then my homemade raised grid with the lil egg feet with the pizza stone on them.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    What is your current setup for pizza? Do you light the coals in one spot, two, three? I have found I need to make sure all the ash is gone every single time I do a pizza cook. Normally I do multiple pizzas and have the egg burning for up to a couple hours. It has just become routine pizza and a clean egg work well. I also light it in two spots and have found this to be the best setup for crust. With a 500° pizza stone temperature. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.