Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replace gasket - just the bottom??

Heya friends -

I got the replacement gasket from the mothership -

How do we feel about just replacing the bottom gasket, instead of both?

Gotta do this this weekend - so tips are much appreciated - thx..

8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    If no gasket gets a pretty good seal, I don't see why one wouldn't. Just GE prepared to have to adjust the dome and bands a bit. The two times I have replaced my gasket the egg has a huge underbite. A few decent videos on YouTube to show you the process. Look forward to hearing responses.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I went gasketless for quite some time, which was fine. I decided I wanted some cushioning so put gasket on just the bottom, re-aligned the dome and all is great. For sealing and cushioning you don't need gaskets top and bottom. Plus if it fries you only have to replace one and get more cooks from a replacement roll. The upper one is also a bit awkward to re-install.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I couldn't install the upper one on my mini without taking the dome off, and I just didn't want to fool with it. One gasket has worked well for months, but I don't go low and slow on the mini.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I've replaced both in the past. Was told by a rep and a dealer to replace the bottom only when using the Nomex white felt they were marketing for awhile as it was thicker.  Rep said the gasket was for cushioning anyway.  One dealer in my area assembles with bottom only, the other with both gaskets.  So the mystery continues on this for me.  One of my larges has been egging  gasketless with no problems for about six months now and the other large is heading in that direction.  Advice?  Go without gaskets for awhile and see how she likes it.  Just be careful when closing the dome.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• My factory gasket lasted less than three months -- i basically went without for a year.  My only drawback, which didn't really effect the cook, was my "low and slow" lowest attainable cooking temperature increase from 225 to 250 degrees.  My dealer wanted $16.00 for a replacement gasket, which i knew was only another temporary "bandaid"!!  I bought one from RRP and had no problem installing it.  The big difference i quickly noticed was my lump consumption!!  Due to the oxygen leakage in the gasket area my egg was taking longer to shutdown, thereby burning additional lump.  Considering the cost of this gasket and labor to install this is a "no brainer" and i love the cushion effect it has on my egg !! 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I put my new gasket on the top only. I figure it will stay cleaner on the lid rather than the bottom getting drippings on it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• We recently did a gasket overall on the competition Egg (4 Larges).  We did top and bottom on only one Egg, we changed just bottom on 2 and left the original on the 4th Egg.  All of our Eggs are over 2 years old and have had 2 pizza classes on them where they were subjected to 5 hours of 550/600 degree heat.   Like many have mentioned if no gasket can work then a worn hasket can certainly work as well. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Replaced my bottom gasket only w/ nomex 15+ months ago.  Eventually scraped off the charred remains of the top gasket.  No issues with temp control or shut down.  YMMV.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • I went with a Rutland about 8 months ago.  Top only.  Applied it will Ultra Copper Permatex.  Holding up wonderfully. The only way I'll go from now on. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i did rutland on the bottom. its holding up great expect back rear where i overhung it a bit due to alcohol.  just a bit singed but solid none the less. 
  • Rutland on the bottom here.  I tried the Nomex from BGE prior and didn't take long to burn it at high temps.  The Rutland has been bulletproof.
  • I've got new gasket coming from BGE next week, I think I will do the top and bottom, just seams like a better seal will be achieved when running wires in and out for mavericks and stuff.  Last night I had smoke coming out of my crack during my whole butt cook. Temp was rock solid and now loss of flavor smoke, but i could see a very constant leak. 

XLBGE 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I personally feel that the gasket itself is less important than the adjustment of the dome. My egg is six years old (large), still has the original gasket on. The gasket is pretty scorched, but it seals really well still. I have adjusted my bands and hinge several times, making sure that the lid sits square and flush. It seems like the gasket seals fine with proper lid adjustment.

If the gasket is missing pieces it may be better to replace the gasket or go without. I don't use anything that requires running wires in the egg, so a good gasket may be better for that. With my original gasket I see no smoke leaking from the seam. I also don't notice the "hot spot" mentioned by other users. This is just my experiences though.