Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking

Options
Is their an ideal outdoor temperature for cold smoking? It is still 20° here and I want to know what temp is best.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cold makes it easy. Get a couple deccent sized pieces of lump burning good then put them on your fire grate in an empty egg and put your wood on them. Put the plate setter in and then set your vents like you would if you were maintaining 250 on a low and slow and you can keep it smoking easily for 1-2 hours and the egg will stay well under 100.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    many ways to skin this cat you just want to keep your dome temp under 90 ideally no more than 80
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like the ambient temp to be 50f or less if I am cold smoking but I never thought about a lower limit. With an Egg I would think 20f wouldn't cause any problems. I just don't like doing it once outdoor temps get warmer because it can get hard to keep cooker temp down and I don't like bothering with ice pans.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    If you think it is too cold, just put a 60 watt light bulb in your egg.  It will produce enough heat to keep it above freezing.  When i made make a few weeks back i use the light bulb and my egg stayed around 60 degrees.  It was in the low 20's out.