Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition BBQ Events

How many people cook in these events.  I am going to start this year and i'm trying to figure out how to transport my eggs,  They are to heavy to keep moving and the thought of building a trailer for them makes me nervous.  Any one have any ideas

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    We transport 4 of our Eggs in our enclosed 6x10 trailer, in nests, strapped against the wall with the flat side of the hinge against the wall. The other 2 travel in the back of my pickup...out of the nest with the flat side of the hinge toward the front of the bed, and ratchet strapped in.

Good luck and have fun!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I just moved two eggs for a comp last weekend. It is kind of a pain. I thought about building me a table with big wheels on it. Just so when i want to take it to a comp I can just roll in up the trailer. We moved one in a table but it had no casters or wheels and moved one out of the nest straped to the trailer. Will be looking for a better option for the next one. You want it to me as easy to pack up a posible. When you leave at the end of the comp.  you are tired and dont feel like having to move all this heavy stuff around. trust me.
  • That's what I was thinking with the packing up. I have been thinking about buying a competition style smoker so I can just hook to it and go. It will just be my wife there to help me load and unload them so that is another issue I have
  • Something like this would be good. Just have to build it to hold 2xl eggs
  • As someone else metioned, compitition grilling is not fun, there's a lot of work involved.  And at the end of the compitition when they are handing out the awards, you will see the crews packing up, dead tired.  Many have been up since 3 or 4 in the morning.  Everyone builds their trailers around saving every step possible.  All the Eggheads i see at them, and many are sponsored by a dealer, have permenently stationed eggs with hoods to carry the smoke and heat away.  And trailers get bounced around -- ceramic to ceramic loose surfaces don't last too long.  And you need a lot more than just the eggs on the trailer. 
  • Found this on another page. I think I may build something like this. Easy to load and unload
  • @caliking 's rig looks like the mars rover!

XLBGE 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    mbhutton said:
    Found this on another page. I think I may build something like this. Easy to load and unload
    Transporting and loading/unloading is really not that bad. We've toted the eggs to over 100 competitions now, and with me and one other guy it takes about 5 minutes to have all 4 eggs in the trailer on the ground, and both of the Eggs in the back of my pick-em-up truck. Takes 10 minute to load them up....a little extra because everyone is tired ;)

Happy competing!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited February 2013
    As someone else metioned, compitition grilling is not fun, there's a lot of work involved.  And at the end of the compitition when they are handing out the awards, you will see the crews packing up, dead tired.  Many have been up since 3 or 4 in the morning.  Everyone builds their trailers around saving every step possible.  All the Eggheads i see at them, and many are sponsored by a dealer, have permenently stationed eggs with hoods to carry the smoke and heat away.  And trailers get bounced around -- ceramic to ceramic loose surfaces don't last too long.  And you need a lot more than just the eggs on the trailer. 

Hello Charlie,

Competition cooking is a very addictive hobby.   When you enjoy what you are doing it doesn't seem like "hard work" at all.  Once you get called to the stage for an award all your aches and pains go away....we love it. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Glad you liked my egg crate. I think it works great. Easy to roll around on hard or soft surfaces, nontippable, and easy to build. Inexpensive too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Congrats on your addiction to competition cooking hobby.  I am only a certified judge, but realized the expenses involved in the food,lodging,and transportation alone, make this a very expensive "hobby" for people traveling the circuit.  This doesn't include the investment in the average portable kitchen.  Without a sponsor seems to make this expense burden impossible ? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:

Glad you liked my egg crate. I think it works great. Easy to roll around on hard or soft surfaces, nontippable, and easy to build. Inexpensive too.

Can you set me up with the plans to your PanzerEGGwagen?
  • .  Without a sponsor seems to make this expense burden impossible ? 

Hello Charlie,

All good hobbies seem to cost money. 

Sponsors help, but a good job will do in most cases though.

I remember being so close to buying a nice bass boat way back when....then this BBQ bug bit me.   LOL

Egg on brother.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    mbhutton said:

Something like this would be good. Just have to build it to hold 2xl eggs

This is cool.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I want to get into BBQ when I get out of school.  Nothing big at all, just hobby, me and a buddy wanna buy a large smoker and sell butts and stuff around holidays and go to a couple of small competitions through the year.

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I want to get into BBQ when I get out of school.  Nothing big at all, just hobby, me and a buddy wanna buy a large smoker and sell butts and stuff around holidays and go to a couple of small competitions through the year.

My father in law just sold the nicest pull behind trailer smoker I have ever seen. If I had $3500 to spare I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Unbelievable what all it holds. There was a slide out chamber that I can fit in (6'2" 210lbs). Then a side chamber where you loaded the wood. Only problem was it was a lot of work to keep it going. Temp starts dropping, load more wood. Had a vent on the bottom kind of like egg for airflow control. A lot of allnighters sitting in a golf cart drinking cold beer and tapping the vent with a golf club. He sold it for an egg so good trade off.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Haha sold for an egg @chubbs my buddy and I just wanna spend a couple grand a piece for our little hobby. Something like that is what I'm talking about. Lang makes a pretty good smoker.

XLBGE 
  • I have a close friend that works for Myron Mixon in many competition cooks.  Of course they cook on Jack's Old South wood fired cookers.  When you start adding up the costs, this is not a weekend warrior's affordable "hobby".  And BEFORE you really get involved, do yourself a big favor and attend judges school.  This will open your eyes up to the seriousness of winning in these contests.  Now i can fully understand the teams with good sponsors, who are not facing the high costs of participating in these activities, because they just have their efforts 'on the line", not a whole lot of money.  Someone beats you when you know they have crappy food - no big deal, you chaulk it up experience!!  A weekend Warrior on the other hand may have, a whole lot of efort, plus a couple of grand and you feel much different....  Go to the school, it's an eye opener.