Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
I've been drooling over some Griswold Dutch Ovens the last few months, and a good friend of mine surprised me with one last night as a gift. It was very thoughtful especially knowing how much he wanted to keep it for himself.

Here's the #9 Griswold tite top all ready for a seasoning (sorry for the bad picture):
photo IMAG1248_zps96562033.jpg

Now I gotta figure out the first few meals for this beast...
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Look up Cow Lick Chilli, you won't be sorry
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • You will have trouble wearing that thing out !!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    A good friend for sure.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    I recently became aware of the old Griswold cast iron pieces and bought a #5 and #10 skillet on eBay for use in the kitchen. Next up will be a smaller dutch oven to go along with my newer Lodge unit. The smoothness and quality on a skillet that is 70-80 years old just amazes me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    mteele said:
    I recently became aware of the old Griswold cast iron pieces and bought a #5 and #10 skillet on eBay for use in the kitchen. Next up will be a smaller dutch oven to go along with my newer Lodge unit. The smoothness and quality on a skillet that is 70-80 years old just amazes me.
    Agreed. That stuff is SO much nicer than anything available today. I rarely use my Lodge anymore.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    The rough surface of the "pre-seasoned" Lodge really annoys me. I recently broke down and bought a large griddle, and every time I use it I cringe a bit.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Eggcelsior
    jlsm said:
    The rough surface of the "pre-seasoned" Lodge really annoys me. I recently broke down and bought a large griddle, and every time I use it I cringe a bit.
    fishlessman sanded his down and reseasoned it(Lodge). You could try that or get a Griswold or Wagner. Look for one that is needs refinishing on ebay. You can get a great deal and make it look like much more expensive pans with a little elbow grease. I grabbed one for 30 bucks that is a 2 burner griddle (20x10). It only needed to be cleaned up and it is fantastic.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited February 2013

Dont know why all are going ape sh*t on Gris  blah blah.

Have always had Lodge and they are great. Cast Iron is cast iron. Not a whole lot of rocket science to it. Heat rings and all.

I am from Tennessee and that's where Lodge is made. Not Mexico, Not China, nowhere but good 'ole USA. Even today.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yzzi
    Aviator said:

Dont know why all are going ape sh*t on Gris  blah blah.

Have always had Lodge and they are great. Cast Iron is cast iron. Not a whole lot of rocket science to it. Heat rings and all.

I am from Tennessee and that's where Lodge is made. Not Mexico, Not China, nowhere but good 'ole USA. Even today.

Way to rain on my parade... ;-) the big thing is the smooth surface that you can't find in cast iron today. Iron quality is also not as great as it was prior to World War II. I do have in Emerald cast iron skillet that was my first one and it has actually been really good. It's one of my favorites and it's actually made in China. Hopefully I cooked the lead out of it already. I also really enjoy finding something old and crusty, restoring it, using it, knowing I could pass it on to my kids if they wanted it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @aviator Griswold and Wagner Ware was both made here in the good 'ole USA and beat Lodge hands down. I have all three and the Wagners and Griswolds are much older and better. Don't mean to piss anyone off. These are just my opinions. :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

But they are dead. Gone.

We have a vibrant company in the USA who makes it in the USA and yu guys talk about haloween stuff.

Support here or you will loose it also to China.

@shtgunal they "were" made here and "are" gone!

Yzzi, sorry man, did not realize it, but I guess I did. That was not the intention though.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yzzi
    I was just kidding aviator. The only thing that could rain on my parade would be a big crack down the side of it the first time I used it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • mteele
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like someone works for Lodge! Geez!

Lodge openly admits that they used to polish their cast iron pieces but they no longer do. Thats why they feel so rough. I've been on eBay the last 2 days looking for a griddle from Griswold and came up short on a few. I am contemplating buying the Lodge pizza pan/griddle and sanding it down to a smoother finish. Its $35 on Amazon...so it might be worth giving a shot 
  • I have about seven different cast iron pots and pans.  Some had smoother finishes than others, but after i seasoned them they all have a smooth glossy finish??
  • Eggcelsior
    mteele said:
    Sounds like someone works for Lodge! Geez!

Lodge openly admits that they used to polish their cast iron pieces but they no longer do. Thats why they feel so rough. I've been on eBay the last 2 days looking for a griddle from Griswold and came up short on a few. I am contemplating buying the Lodge pizza pan/griddle and sanding it down to a smoother finish. Its $35 on Amazon...so it might be worth giving a shot 
    You can get a Wagner for those prices. If you get lucky, you can grab a Griswold for around that. Check out etsy dot com too. It is a handmade product site that will sometimes carry CI that people use as decorations. It just needs to be cleaned up for cooking. Also when bidding, go ahead and put the highest price you are willing to pay;. Don't chase the current bid price. A lot of people try to snipe these type of things because they can easily be "flipped" for profit. I was able to grab 3 griswold griddles for great values by being patient.
  • mteele
    I typically use Auction Sniper to place my bid for me with 3 seconds left...PM me if you want a referral link and we both get some free 'snipes' from them.
  • Eggcelsior
    I use the Myibidder one. I didn't want to give away my secret.... ;)

What do you mean by free snipes? All mine are. It pulls my "watch list" and lets me bid right from the app. I'm on Droid, BTW.
  • I have about seven different cast iron pots and pans.  Some had smoother finishes than others, but after i seasoned them they all have a smooth glossy finish??
    That almost looks like a sky blue Gheenoe in the background. Is it?
  • I think it originally was green.  Haven't used it much since i set up a G3 skiff for skinny water.. 
  • yzzi
    Here she is after initial seasoning. I'm not allowed to season cast iron in the oven anymore cause of the smell so on the egg it goes... Probably do 3 more seasonings before the chili.
    Dunedin, FL