Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ci grid help?

I just bought the BGE cast iron grid last week. First cook was searing some wonderful tbones. But today while using it I heard a loud pop from inside the egg while searing a nice rack of lamb. The CI grid had snapped in the corner. Anyone else hear of this happening?

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    CI can be pretty brittle, but it sounds as if you had a flaw. Talk to your dealer. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited February 2013
    I've heard of it cracking when folks take a hot CI out and place it someplace cold but haven't heard of that happening just cooking on it. Looking at the warranty info on the BGE site, it looks to me like that should be warrantied for 5 years.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Go exchange it. Should be no problem with the dealer.
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Will get an exchange, but as an egger I have to ask, is there a better one out there then the BGE version?
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I use my Ceramic Grill Works Swing Rack its carbon steel, which retains heat and sears like cast iron plus it allows you to cook on two levels. Not exactly what you have but a good option to think about. 

Craycort has a pretty cool setup with interchangeable grids or a griddle piece. @NibbleMeThis uses one and all his food looks good! I might get one of those for my small egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.