Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket is On

Rick1
Rick1 Posts: 81
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Blending what I have read here and the Mixon method. Will put in a pan and cover after about 3 hours. It's the birthday dinner for SWMBO so I need this to turn out good. Wish me luck.

Comments

• Good Luck!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    What size BGE? What's the weight of your Brisket?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks good from the start! if you post your methods it will be easy to remember exactly what you did if you don't make another one for  a couple of months. Thats what I like to do so it can be the same or even better next time! 

I hope it turns out great! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Rick1
    edited February 2013
    LBGE, 14 lb brisket untrimmed, choice or better. The brisket was packed on January 23rd. I made the Myron Mixon beef injection recipe and injected with half, poured the rest over the brisket, covered and then in the fridge overnight. Pulled out of the fridge this morning and rubbed with a double batch of the Mixon beef rub recipe. On the BGE for 3 hours at 300 dome. After 3 hours I will put it in an aluminum pan and tightly cover until it is about 205. When I pull it I will wrap up in old towels and let it rest at room temp for 2 - 4 hours. When I think it's ready to slice I will pull from pan, place on cutting board and pour the juices into a fat separator and bring to a simmer. Then slice, put slices on warmed platter and pour the juices over the slices. I think it sounds good on paper but the proof will be in the comments made by the guests.
  • Solson005
    Sounds great to me! I would start doing the thermometer test at 190° and check it every 5° till is slides in and out like butter or at 205° some even go to 210°. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Thanks @Rick1 for the details...trying to get my nerve up to do a Brisket myself. Keep us update on the results
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    How did this turn out Rick?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Rick1
    edited February 2013
    It was great. Brisket went on the LBGE at 6:30 AM and removed at 11:30AM, wrapped the covered pan in 3 towels and let it sit on kitchen counter until 3:00 and then sliced it up. Everyone was impressed with tenderness and flavor. Also used Boboli crusts to let kids make their own pizza and that worked out well. Those crusts are pretty thick and cook up pretty good at 450 - 475. Put the pizzas on while BIL sliced up the brisket. The brisket recipe is a keeper and I'm feeling very relieved that the wife's birthday party for 16 wasn't ruined by a tough brisket. There might be enough left over for a sammich or two for lunch. Made some ABT's and stuffed mushrooms for appetizers too. Forgot to get a pic of the shrooms though.
  • Solson005
    Nicely done!  =D> Glad the party went well! 
  • Rick1
    Forgot to attach pic off the ABT's.
  • That is some good looking food!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Great job! Looks terrific. I could go for an ABT or two right now.
  • @rick1 After your first 3 hours, you said you put it in a pan, covered it and let it finish. About how long did it take to get to 200? Also was your bark soft and not "bark" due to covering and steaming to the finish?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Rick1
    It finished for 2 hours wrapped in the pan. The bark was soft when slicing but still adhered pretty well.